• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are the Play Offs Out of the Question?

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
We know how to win away, the way we bounce back (or not) on Tuesday will be key now.

geoffwp

That's a good point, but we're not going to change overnight, so we should play to our strengths and setup to retain possession, not go 5 at the back and succumb to the inevitable defeat. Let's hope lesson learned and we go 4-3-3 against Wycombe and if we do lose, we go down slugging
Totally agree. No point in playing completely safe and looking for a point. We need to go there with the intention of getting all three by going at them right from the start. It's a fine balance though as don't want us to be suicidal about it and throw ALL caution to the wind but neither should we hang around looking to get to the 60 minute and THEN start to attack.

Oliver

To answer the title thread question in my opinion, Yes.

contrabombarde

To answer the title thread question in my opinion, Yes.
I tend to agree with this now and anything but a win on Tuesday will probably nail it.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's still in our own hands. 12 points up for grabs would put us on 73 points. No team with that amount of points has failed to make the Play offs in recent L2 history.

A tall order but I think 3 wins and a draw would do it.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's still in our own hands.
No it's not. If Argyle and Stevenage both win three of their four remaining games we can't catch them.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Defeat at Wycombe & it's game over

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it's not. If Argyle and Stevenage both win three of their four remaining games we can't catch them.
IMO I believe that if we are able to secure 10 points from our last four games it will be between ourselves Stevenage and Argyle. It may even be that if on the last day Luton beat Stevenage and Shrewsbury beat Argyle we could just creep in with less than 71 but fairly unlikely.

The most likely scenario would for Argyle to be on 71 points going to Shrewsbury with Stevenage on 72 and given a fair wind ourselves on 68 which unless Shrewsbury won by a cricket score would mean Argyle pipping us at the post on goal difference.

Having said that a win for Portsmouth away to Stevenage on Tuesday night, for Wimbledon away to Argyle and of course for us at Wycombe and it would be a whole new ball game where there would the possibility of both ourselves and Argyle going into the last game equal on 68 points. Stranger things have happened but in all honesty not that many.

One thing I am sure of, unlike most seasons, this season we can see the result which really has most influenced and defined our season namely the defeat against Argyle at SJP. With those three points in the bag we would now be 3 points ahead of them instead as we are now playing catch up and 3 points behind them.

One thing I am sure of, unlike most seasons, this season we can see the result which really has most influenced and defined our season namely the defeat against Argyle at SJP. With those three points in the bag we would now be 3 points ahead of them instead as we are now playing catch up and 3 points behind them.[/QUOTE)

It's never down to one game.

If we had beaten Argyle at SJP but lost to Shrewsbury at SJP we would still have the same number of points that we have now. If Argyle had won one of their home games that they lost and nothing else changed they would still have the same number of points that they have now.

It's a League and every game contributes to where anyone finishes.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
One thing I am sure of, unlike most seasons, this season we can see the result which really has most influenced and defined our season namely the defeat against Argyle at SJP. With those three points in the bag we would now be 3 points ahead of them instead as we are now playing catch up and 3 points behind them.[/QUOTE)

It's never down to one game.

If we had beaten Argyle at SJP but lost to Shrewsbury at SJP we would still have the same number of points that we have now. If Argyle had won one of their home games that they lost and nothing else changed they would still have the same number of points that they have now.

It's a League and every game contributes to where anyone finishes.
Agreed you can always argue like that of course every game/result contributes to a team's league position but I maintain my view that to lose three points at home to Argyle, thus handing three points to them that, given how close the race for the playoffs is, this result was a very significant one for both teams.