• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If asked in a quiz I would have been way out. Would have gone for 1975.
That's called age Al, We suffer with that! 😀

Alistair20000

That's called age Al, We suffer with that! 😀
Aye and there is no way of stopping that three letter fecker :(

Reactions: DB9

Oldsmobile-88

A blast from the car past. The Manual Choke.
Used to enrich the carburettor when the engine was cold making it rev a little higher. If you used a bit of throttle at the same time as starting with the Choke out it was easy to ‘flood’ the engine.

Alistair20000

A blast from the car past. The Manual Choke.
Used to enrich the carburettor when the engine was cold making it rev a little higher. If you used a bit of throttle at the same time as starting with the Choke out it was easy to ‘flood’ the engine.
The manual choke was an improvement on the starting handle mind.

Oldsmobile-88

The manual choke was an improvement on the starting handle mind.
Only used one of them a couple of times Al, on my 1959 Rover 105 P4. Flat battery, set Choke slightly, turn handle to crank the engine, not easy on that size engine(2.6) flick it quickly & try not to break a wrist 😁

Oldsmobile-88

It’s 2030 for new sales of internal combustion engines in the UK. Petrol/Diesel hybrids(not mild hybrids) are 2035 as in the map.
Though that was not entirely clear in BJs announcement in late 2020. A vague announcement that petrol/diesel hybrids will have to go a decent distance on battery power only (whatever that is ?) to qualify for 2035.
Most Self Charging hybrids will not travel more than a few miles on battery only at low speed(Below 30mph)

71BD4483-CF8C-4B6B-A288-E44D44E0CBDD.jpeg

Grecian2K

Oldsmobile-88

Looking at those I get the nostalgic smell of petrol in my nose.. I was not a great traveller in cars in back then as a young child. I felt nauseous on any journey over 20 miles. I was dreading a trip to London in my Dads ‘67 E reg Sunbeam Stiletto in 1971, miraculously I seemed to have grown out of the car sickness on that trip, which was around 8 hours from Exminster in those days.

Photo is a stock image(I dislike non standard wheels on Classic Cars)

46446DD5-702C-4EB7-A16C-565D8A250B26.jpeg

Colesman Ballz

Coming back down the M5 to Exeter early Sunday evening I had a few interesting sightings. First up I passed a 60's red Sunbeam Alpine sports car, which struck me as odd, as I thought that I'd already passed it. A glance in the rear view mirror revealed yes I had just passed an identical red one ! Between Cullompton and Exeter things got even more interesting passing a beautiful Jowett Javelin of 1947/53 vintage cruising along at a steady 60+ mph.

DB9

Coming back down the M5 to Exeter early Sunday evening I had a few interesting sightings. First up I passed a 60's red Sunbeam Alpine sports car, which struck me as odd, as I thought that I'd already passed it. A glance in the rear view mirror revealed yes I had just passed an identical red one ! Between Cullompton and Exeter things got even more interesting passing a beautiful Jowett Javelin of 1947/53 vintage cruising along at a steady 60+ mph.
Sounds like an episode of Bangers and Cash! 🙂