• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bolton Wanderers - Matchday Thread

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I should add I was stood next to an old fella today who I think should stop going to watch City for the good of his own health.

From the first minute to the last he was chuntering away, waving his arms around like an Italian tic-tac bookie having an argument every time we lost possession, and swearing about how GC was shit and should **** off back to chesterfield.

I accidentally caught his eye once and unfortunately he took that as a signal that I was interested in his drunken nonsense, whereupon I told him I thought he was being harsh on GC. Didn’t have the impact I wanted though, he still carried on.
Think it was the same bloke i had a ‘discussion’ with at Oxford. He spent the whole match slagging off the team and manager. Looked like he was a heart attack waiting. Funny kind of support but hey ho

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I should add I was stood next to an old fella today who I think should stop going to watch City for the good of his own health.

From the first minute to the last he was chuntering away, waving his arms around like an Italian tic-tac bookie having an argument every time we lost possession, and swearing about how GC was shit and should **** off back to chesterfield.

I accidentally caught his eye once and unfortunately he took that as a signal that I was interested in his drunken nonsense, whereupon I told him I thought he was being harsh on GC. Didn’t have the impact I wanted though, he still carried on.
Are you sure his initials were'nt GC !

Trapdoor

First 5 minutes were decent, but the next 85 were dire. Midfield getting overrun, no movement, passes going astray, zero link-up.

Chauke looks ok, but he's a luxury attacking player, he has no appetite for a scrap in midfield and his positioning is questionable. If you're going to play him, it should only be instead of Jev (which shouldn't happen unless Jev is injured.)

Caldwell needs to stop experimenting with wacky set-ups. Nombe should be starting and people like Key should not be in the frame for a spot in the side as a forward. If I were Nombe I would be furious at not starting.
As good as Stanno is, this was not the game for him, he should have been subbed because it just wasnt working today.

At half time I was really hoping to see Caldwell go 442 with Jev and Nombe up top, get a bit of solidity in midfield and make the most of some luck we had been having down the wings. When Caldwell finally made his substitutions I was delighted to see Diengs name on the board, I thought, "finally we are going to shore up the midfield". My delight was very short lived however as he slotted straight in at centre back. What the actual fvck?

Grounds, Diabate, Hartridge, Kite and Collins all had extremely poor games today. It's just depressing Grounds is starting, he's not good enough for this level anymore, but then I guess neither is Diabate based on this performance. Key and Caprice were the only 2 members of the backline to show any value, but even then Caprices crossing was generally bad and never really created any clear cut opportunities.

Talking of crossing.... can we please stop with these fvcking pointless short corners and quick free kicks? Please, please, please, for the sanity of all City fans, stop it.

AmberRed

First half was dire today but thought we played well in the second half! GC won't be going anywhere, we all know that our club likes to give the manager time and he also hasn't had chance to bring any of his 'own' players in yet! Just out of curiosity, is anyone on Rotherhams fans forum? Are they calling for MT to be sacked yet considering they are only 3 points from safety? He isn't exactly doing wonders up there!

Red red

Well a nice 3hour drive home and plenty of thinking time.
Read a lot of views and agree with a lot of them
But our Manager must start with our best players and stop messing about with the line up.
Grounds and Diabetes 2 players in a back 3 playing out of position, no wonder it looked awful. .
Don’t understand why he doesn’t start with Nombe.
In my opinion and yes I may be wrong. We have a very good front 3 play them.
Ok Sweeney was missing today but the back 3 line up as said before all wrong.
Bringing Kite in for Dieng didn’t work
I know I expected this season to be hard but we must help ourselves.
Frustrated fed up and losing faith. But Portsmouth next come on City

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
How many times did bolton pass it simply across our box and we just couldn't deal with it? Bizarre, it happened over and over, they could have scored almost the same goal 5 times over.

Somehow Bolton managed to only score 2, our leaky defence is becoming a bit embarrassing really.

Caldwell should get time, the club have invested him in, however if we get relegated with this side then they absolutely need to act this time and not dick about.

Long way to go before that though, and a January transfer window. I have liked elements of what GC is trying to do and can see improvement in certain players - also needs to be taken into account we've played loads of top sides since he joined v the fairly easy start we had. Perhaps that covered up some of the quality of League 1.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well a nice 3hour drive home and plenty of thinking time.
Read a lot of views and agree with a lot of them
But our Manager must start with our best players and stop messing about with the line up.
Grounds and Diabetes 2 players in a back 3 playing out of position, no wonder it looked awful. .
Don’t understand why he doesn’t start with Nombe.
In my opinion and yes I may be wrong. We have a very good front 3 play them.
Ok Sweeney was missing today but the back 3 line up as said before all wrong.
Bringing Kite in for Dieng didn’t work
I know I expected this season to be hard but we must help ourselves.
Frustrated fed up and losing faith. But Portsmouth next come on City
Well done on being one of the 874 Travelling Grecians - if the players who didn't turn up in the first half don't I'll sponsor you a pint in the FECRACE pre Pompey !
UTC

Grecian Max

Breaking down those GC games, it's all very well saying "1 win in 9" but that doesn't speak to what I've seen (or is true?)

* = away games

*Derby (A) - 0-0, creditable draw in his first game where we frustrated what is a good an expensive side
*Argyle (A) 2-4 - we gave it a good go at what is (unfortunately) one of the very best sides in the league, it was a fantastic football match
*Vale (A) - 3-2, comeback away win against a side probably similar in ability squad wise
Peteborough (H) 3-2 - comeback win against what is a "good" L1 side
Ipswich (H) - 0-2 best side I've seen at the park in a league game in ages. No shame in that loss.
*Oxford (A) - 1-4 not great at all, but seems to be the one where people have jumped on GC out train already, after 6 matches
*Morecambe (A) - 1-1 this was a good performance in my eyes, yes we should have won but hardly awful
Wednesday (H) - 1-1 superb performance that derserved the win, outplayed one of the best sides in the league
*Bolton (A) 0-2 - crap today, we all agree

So it's 4 losses from 9
2 wins and 3 draws in 9
6 of those games were away
7 of the 9 were against top half teams

All for us being on top of it this time with assessing performance and making well-timed decisions on management, but those losing their minds are doing just that

Trapdoor

All for us being on top of it this time with assessing performance and making well-timed decisions on management, but those losing their minds are doing just that
I agree with this, I hope I've not come across as losing my mind. I think today was poor and GC needs to stop messing about with the team sheet. I expect he will learn from this and address the serious issues on display today.

Grecian Max

I agree with this, I hope I've not come across as losing my mind. I think today was poor and GC needs to stop messing about with the team sheet. I expect he will learn from this and address the serious issues on display today.
Totally agree about messing about with the lineups, he seemed like s tinkerer when a I had a look at his previous jobs, never been a fan of that sort of management.