• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bristol Rovers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's interesting to see Barton has blamed Belshaw for all four goals. I'm not so sure that that is fair. I thought his positioning for the first one as play was developing was decent enough but he was done by an early pass from Jevani and then a very quick take by Sam. The second, totally. As I said earlier, the way he went down we were convinced it must have taken a deflection but the evidence quite clearly says otherwise. You can't leave a gap like that on your near post for somebody to shoot at. The third, it was his miskick from his clearance that instigated it but there were already plenty of bodies and then time for Rovers to have mopped it up. The fourth, absolutely. What are you doing? If you're coming make sure you get there but Belshaw was never getting near it. By my reckoning I said he was at fault for two and a bit.

grecIAN Harris

:ROFLMAO:

Football is a funny game.

Although my comments / Judgements are based on Caldwell's actual games in charge along with my concerns at appointment. That was a hunch as I was worried with going with inexperience following 12 years. I didn't understand or realise the work that was going on behind the scenes in preparing Taylor for the role at the time and misjudged my assessment of him at that time.
How? The world and his dog could see Taylor was being prepped to take over for a good couple of seasons before it happened. He was running the junior sides (18's/23's) in the national competitions, getting more and more involved in the first team. He was always the man to step up whenever and however Tisdale left,

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
How? The world and his dog could see Taylor was being prepped to take over for a good couple of seasons before it happened. He was running the junior sides (18's/23's) in the national competitions, getting more and more involved in the first team. He was always the man to step up whenever and however Tisdale left,
I disagree with that assessment. Being involved doesn't always equate being prepared for being the next manager. His work probably warranted the progression and then the realisation he could be the successor with that work then put in place.

Also around that time i suppose i was only really focused on the first team as had a new born daughter in Apr 18 and my son was only 3 n half. I wasn't massively focused on the running of the club outside the first team and even then Probably wasn't as involved mentally as I was before or after. Happy to concede the point though as I Have above.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's interesting to see Barton has blamed Belshaw for all four goals. I'm not so sure that that is fair. I thought his positioning for the first one as play was developing was decent enough but he was done by an early pass from Jevani and then a very quick take by Sam. The second, totally. As I said earlier, the way he went down we were convinced it must have taken a deflection but the evidence quite clearly says otherwise. You can't leave a gap like that on your near post for somebody to shoot at. The third, it was his miskick from his clearance that instigated it but there were already plenty of bodies and then time for Rovers to have mopped it up. The fourth, absolutely. What are you doing? If you're coming make sure you get there but Belshaw was never getting near it. By my reckoning I said he was at fault for two and a bit.
For the last goal the defender was clearly distracted by Belshaw doing the hokey-cokey but he was still nearest the ball and should have dealt with the situation.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not FIFA or Football Manager you can't put a club on auto-play, choices need to be made and if you're in a leadership position you need to have conviction in your solutions. Particularly so in football management where very quickly people can jump on you. He has a vision, we have to back it - if it fails over a certain period then at that point you make the decision to switch it up but your posts don't make any sense as it's so early - and the facts are clear. It was a tough run, we have been reasonably good in most games bar Bolton and the cup game.
Choices need to be made - At this moment they where wrong choices, for reason's I Keep highlighting and won't go over again. Lets hope he has learnt the errors and we can move forward.

I think thus far, Most people agree with my points around selection / Tactics, especially Nombe, most agree my conclusion is harsh. I am happy to accept the conclusion is harsh, but based on what i have seen, I am not convinced by Caldwell or his approach. But he is going to have time to prove me wrong as he ain't going anywhere anytime soon and I am sure you will find my posts to show in a few years if he can prove himself (Of which i will be happy to concede as I Will be happy he has done well, as ultimately i want anyone to do with ECFC to do well). I am conflicted as I do not call for Managers to be sacked easily and this is probably showing in my posts. I genuinely want to be proven wrong.

Either way, I think I will stop banging on now, everyone knows where I Stand at this point on the subject and We just seem to be going round and round in circles on the subject making the same points over and over. I Want to be wrong and will be delighted if / when I am proven wrong. I will try and be objective on each game I see and i will confirm when I feel i got this wrong.

January is going to be a huge month for us, we need to strengthen the side and bring in a couple of CB's (assuming Stubbs doesn't return) who have really quality and experience at this level. We also need a back up for Nombe, as we have proven via selection that was cannot play without him at this point as he is too important to how Brown, Stanno and Jay play. January is going to be a rollercoaster.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the last goal the defender was clearly distracted by Belshaw doing the hokey-cokey but he was still nearest the ball and should have dealt with the situation.
Did Belshaw play in the first game against us? If so then that is twice this season he has allowed Nombe to essentially score from his poor positions / indecision.

grecIAN Harris

Did Belshaw play in the first game against us? If so then that is twice this season he has allowed Nombe to essentially score from his poor positions / indecision.
Yep, watch the goals from the year (as posted elsewhere on Exeweb) and it's almost like watching an instant replay.

grecian55

A player I don't think has been mentioned is Sparkes. After a very good game defensively on Boxing Day I thought he had another solid game tonight. I said after Monday that it might have been because of different coaching, but I think Gary likes the wing backs to play deeper than Matt did which means they don't get caught up field so much. Played a part in the first goal and stood up well during the 20 minutes in the second half. I really don't know why people keep saying we need a LB. Gary is unlikely to go four at the back and I don't believe there is anyone out there in our price range better at LWB than Jack.
I sometimes get the feeling that a lot of our fans don't particularly rates Sparkes but it's not very often I watch him play and think he's played rubbish ,he's a solid player and probably a 7/10 most games

grecian55

Of course there was also always that historical evening at Barnsley on 3 May 1977 when the Tykes raced into a three goal lead in just 10 minutes.?
But of course we had Alan Beer (the Nombe of the 20th century) LammieLammieLammie (the Caledonian Timothee of his day) and, of course, the incomparable Kell's to send them away with their tails tucked further between their legs than a whipped whippet.

And I'm sure that if you buy him a glass of St Austell's finest next time you see him Sturtz will give you a minute by minute account - after all he was one of the "fingerful" of Grecians who made the long midweek trip back in those pre motorway days! (y)
St Austell's Finest, is there such a thing ?

grecian55

Article focusing on the kit change. Sounded like Barton didn't less us know they were changing their kit. And clearly to him the Shelter campaign was an inconvenience..
Barton ought to be asking his clubs hierarchy why they chose a "local ish derby " to take part in the Shelter campaign ? if his team is like every other team in the lower leagues then they are inconsistent so they have 23 home fixtures to choose from just like every other team do ,it would never have been mentioned if they were 5 up at half time and went on to win the game would it ,the bloke is a gosh*te clown and the very idea that the reason they were 2-0 down at h/t is because of the kit clash is the best excuse going ,not only does it make Barton look stupid (as usual) but it makes me wonder if the Rovers player actually know their own team mates ? cos you can't tell me that after training with them all season virtually everyday that in one 45 minutes of play wearing a different colour shirt they were that crap ? excuse after excuse is just the norm now when a team plays crap and scousers certainly no how to churn the excuses out .