• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Blake era was a lot worse than this IMO…
Quality wise yes

But in terms of total capitulation this is worse for me. And number of games. Blake had to work with a tinpot set up at a dead end club. Caldwell has been given a fairly safe place to do his work with low expectations and he’s completely ****** it with two larger defeats than Blake got close to.

That 9-0 had me really annoyed at the time. It was a sign of mentality weakness.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
This was our form in the run up to Blake’s sacking. Scored a few goals and picked up more points than GC’s current run.

We really should’ve beaten Argyle in his penultimate game. Still hurts that one!

11 Aug 2001Exeter City v Hull CityL1-3League Division 3
18 Aug 2001Halifax Town v Exeter CityD1-1League Division 3
21 Aug 2001Exeter City v WalsallL0-1League Cup
25 Aug 2001Exeter City v Scunthorpe UnitedL0-4League Division 3
27 Aug 2001Rochdale v Exeter CityL2-0League Division 3
01 Sep 2001Exeter City v Luton TownD2-2League Division 3
08 Sep 2001Swansea City v Exeter CityL4-2League Division 3
15 Sep 2001Exeter City v Oxford UnitedW3-2League Division 3
18 Sep 2001Exeter City v Plymouth ArgyleL2-3League Division 3
22 Sep 2001Darlington v Exeter CityL4-0League Division 3
Right, but we were a league lower.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Right, but we were a league lower.
Well yeh, the entire context was different. Anyone who thinks we’re skint now would baulk at the state of the finances and facilities Blakey was working with.

Check out the starting XI in his final game

Arjan Van HeusdenGoalkeeper
Mark BurrowsDefender
Chris CurranDefender
Alex WatsonDefender/Centre back
Dylan KerrDefender/Full back
Graeme PowerDefender/Left back
Martin BarlowMidfielder
Geoff BreslanMidfielder
Steve FlackForward
Sean McCarthyForward
Christian RobertsForward

To be fair, I’d take Roberts, McCarthy or Flack up front right now!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Quality wise yes

But in terms of total capitulation this is worse for me. And number of games. Blake had to work with a tinpot set up at a dead end club. Caldwell has been given a fairly safe place to do his work with low expectations and he’s completely ****** it with two larger defeats than Blake got close to.

That 9-0 had me really annoyed at the time. It was a sign of mentality weakness.
it’s a fair point.

malcolms

Quality wise yes

Whatever your opinion, no team sent out by Blakey would have capitulated in the way this team has..there would have been blood on the dressing room walls if they had..

malcolms

Whatever you think of Blakey, he would never have allowed his team to capitulate like this one has, there would have been blood on the dressing room walls if they had

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whatever you think of Blakey, he would never have allowed his team to capitulate like this one has, there would have been blood on the dressing room walls if they had
Yeh he had the good manners to limit it to 4-0 at Darlington.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was part of his problem IMO. I remember him on the radio angrily rambling about being in the trenches. Prefer Caldwell's calm. Just wish it wasn't so woeful! Thats a lightweight midfield there, isn't it. Martin Barlow had Geoff Breslan as a two man midfield in a 5-2-3. Bananas.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The pre match press will be interesting for the Shrewsbury game…what the vibe be ? what will be said? will anything be promised?…

time will tell.

grecIAN Harris

Well yeh, the entire context was different. Anyone who thinks we’re skint now would baulk at the state of the finances and facilities Blakey was working with.

Check out the starting XI in his final game

Arjan Van HeusdenGoalkeeper
Mark BurrowsDefender
Chris CurranDefender
Alex WatsonDefender/Centre back
Dylan KerrDefender/Full back
Graeme PowerDefender/Left back
Martin BarlowMidfielder
Geoff BreslanMidfielder
Steve FlackForward
Sean McCarthyForward
Christian RobertsForward

To be fair, I’d take Roberts, McCarthy or Flack up front right now!
Roberts or Flack, yes. McCarthy (and don't forget this is the version we had at City not the Scummer version), f**k no. He made Trevva Morgan third time around look mobile.