• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some of you had no patience, as is the want of the modern football fan, some of us did. I understand the frustrations some of you have but I'm sure some of you can see how we're improving over recent weeks. Next season we will have a foundation of players who know what is required where we didn't this and I expect to step on next season and those of you that have had your frustrations will see why some of us kept our patience. Will it happen week in, week out? Nope. Will you still suffer your frustrations? Yep, but nowhere near as regularly as you have this but I'm certain you'll enjoy next season far more than you have this.

Grecian Max

IMG_5615.jpeg

I bet this is Ian blowing his own trumpet 😂

Bliss

grecIAN Harris

View attachment 15156

I bet this is Ian blowing his own trumpet 😂

Bliss
Dear ol' Maxi, stop being a silly little boy and then you could find out. Of course, you won't be able to read this to find out.🫣

Last edited:

Grecian Max

It’s been a strange, lopsided season but I’m really happy with us getting to safety. It’s absolutely priority number one and Caldwell has achieved it. Through some slightly unorthodox methods (weird set piece routines, employing Perkins etc) alongside a method of play that can one week look promising and the next look completely porous.

I can see more of a vision now coming into view. I thought I understood where he was going this time last year but have adjusted expectations of that with this year’s approach. Next year hinges on building on what we have and ensuring we have those game changing players on contracts (I’m looking at you, Woods)

Happy to see what GC builds and of course pleased that the board held their nerve - I certainly hadn’t after that run.

It’s not played out as I expected and I was wrong, only the big dogs can say that on here 😎 I hope this provides adequate w@nking material for the know it alls!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't let him sign anybody, all his signings are crap (Jan 2023)
There are certainly some who have been crap and then some. Hello James Scott and Gary Woods 👋 I'm tempted to put Mo Eisa here too.

But there are others that have been a stroke of genius. Reece Cole is to GC what Jevani was to MT - both match-winners on their day, both exceeding expectations. Same applies to Demetri Mitchell. Zak Jules almost gets in here. If he'd played in his correct position all season he probably would. Kevin McDonald probably deserves a spot here.

For the most part though, the permanent signings have either been a) reasonably good without having the 'wow factor'
Aimson
Aitchison
Carroll
Harper
Purrington

Or b) they've been pretty average OR we've hardly seen them because they're crocked(sometimes both)
Niskanen
Fitzwater
Wildschutt
Watts
Alli

By far the most successful loan signing has been Sinisalo. Trevitt scored some great goals but looked raw in terms of his general play. Rankine has had his moments, is always a threat and yet too often there's no end product. Harris probably needed a whole season to reach his maximum performance levels with us. Joe White started brilliantly then after those first twenty minutes against a terrible FGR looked out of his depth. Ryan Woods looks the best of the outfield players. Oh yeah and Muskwe was a joke.

I'm not going to count Shaun MacDonald in any category because I've never seen him play. Same with Cummings.

By my reckoning, GC has signed 25 players. Three permanent signings (Mitchell, Cole, Jules), one on a short-term deal (Kevin McDonald) and two on loan (Sinisalo, Ryan Woods) have been quality IMO.

He's also signed two duds on permanent deals (Scott, Gary Woods) and one on loan (Muskwe). White and Eisa, whilst not appalling, didn't do / haven't done anything at all.

Four bad signings out of twenty five isn't bad )though worryingly two of those are number nines).

Similarly, five out of twenty-five being top quality is maybe not good enough (though of course some of the younger ones, like Harper, have the potential to improve).

This summer's window is massive.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are certainly some who have been crap and then some. Hello James Scott and Gary Woods 👋 I'm tempted to put Mo Eisa here too.

But there are others that have been a stroke of genius. Reece Cole is to GC what Jevani was to MT - both match-winners on their day, both exceeding expectations. Same applies to Demetri Mitchell. Zak Jules almost gets in here. If he'd played in his correct position all season he probably would. Kevin McDonald probably deserves a spot here.

For the most part though, the permanent signings have either been a) reasonably good without having the 'wow factor'
Aimson
Aitchison
Carroll
Harper
Purrington

Or b) they've been pretty average OR we've hardly seen them because they're crocked(sometimes both)
Niskanen
Fitzwater
Wildschutt
Watts
Alli

By far the most successful loan signing has been Sinisalo. Trevitt scored some great goals but looked raw in terms of his general play. Rankine has had his moments, is always a threat and yet too often there's no end product. Harris probably needed a whole season to reach his maximum performance levels with us. Joe White started brilliantly then after those first twenty minutes against a terrible FGR looked out of his depth. Ryan Woods looks the best of the outfield players. Oh yeah and Muskwe was a joke.

I'm not going to count Shaun MacDonald in any category because I've never seen him play. Same with Cummings.

By my reckoning, GC has signed 25 players. Three permanent signings (Mitchell, Cole, Jules), one on a short-term deal (Kevin McDonald) and two on loan (Sinisalo, Ryan Woods) have been quality IMO.

He's also signed two duds on permanent deals (Scott, Gary Woods) and one on loan (Muskwe). White and Eisa, whilst not appalling, didn't do / haven't done anything at all.

Four bad signings out of twenty five isn't bad )though worryingly two of those are number nines).

Similarly, five out of twenty-five being top quality is maybe not good enough (though of course some of the younger ones, like Harper, have the potential to improve).

This summer's window is massive.
So were GC's previous windows !

Bridgy 81

Dear ol' Maxi, stop being a silly little boy and then you could find out. Of course, you won't be able to read this to find out.🫣
I can only speak for myself of course but I don’t think that’ll bother too many on here to be honest.

roger wellman

People would do well to remember how KMT struggled to make the signings he wanted in the summer window after promotion and said this was the case.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
People would do well to remember how KMT struggled to make the signings he wanted in the summer window after promotion and said this was the case.
MT rolled out the 'Exeter is too far away' excuse too often though. It's to his credit that GC doesn't (and has proved it to be untrue by bringing players here from all over the UK).

Spoonz Red E

I've had a look at our previous seasons at this level since it became 4 divisions.
This is our 18th season in the third tier.
I've awarded three points for a win for those seasons where it was actually two.
Relatively speaking we've bettered 5 of those seasons so far.
If we carry on at the same current points per game then we will have had our 8th best season (see projected line at bottom)
If we were to win our last 5 games we would finish on 65 points and have the 4th best season's total ...

* Correction - The projected line should have read W16 - D9 - L21 to reach 57 pts - relative position still applies.

Last edited: