• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 230 60.1%
  • Out

Votes: 153 39.9%

• Total voters

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know I'm only repeating what others have said but to lose 5 of our best players and make a mess of the transfer window and to then still be within touching distance of matching last year's points total really is an incredible achievement. And the resilience shown by the manager to keep fighting on after those defeats to Fleetwood and Bolton is almost as impressive.
We are Exeter City. We are resilient.

Average Joe

Surely you can't be dissapointed in how this season has turned out. We had a major blip in the middle, however that happens from time to time with every club.

Class season so far, very happy and well done to all in our club. Last little push to finish in a respectable place.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
At half time at Bolton I thought we where still right in the mix for relegation and I feared we where going on another endless winless run, but since Cox smashed home the first in the the second half against Bolton we have achieved some very good results which is great and full credit is deserved. We still have much to improve on for next season and have to strengthen the side significantly for this style / tactical approach to be more effective (I have accepted this is the style we will be playing under GC, but it has to be effective, otherwise it is a real drag to watch, even when we win games, It is tough style on the eye for me) and have to work much better in the attacking third. We cannot score so few goals again next season, because we will be caught out and I don't think as lucky to have such a poor bottom half next season.

But main target achieved, Lots of work in the summer now for Caldwell and the Recruitment team. Caldwell has to work on his tactical awareness during matches as if plan A doesn't work, we are still like lambs to the slaughter and we also need to have different approaches tactically. The recruitment team / GC did exceptionally well in the January window to get the players to fill the gaps we needed and get us over the line for safety. I hope there is no resting on laurels now and we go all out to get to last season total or even beat it and maybe even try some next approaches in the attacking third.

The fact we are so close to last seasons total is probably a sign of how far backwards Caldwell took last seasons side and how poor the bottom half of league one are this season. I think any side from 11th down could have been relegated this season (I really think League one is that poor this season, i think most of the bottom half would struggle to get promoted from league 2 this season) and you have to really give credit to the club and GC for this turnaround since January. He really should have been fired, but fair play for the club and GC himself keeping faith. Ultimately now, next season we must score more goals, be more effective in the final third of the pitch and improve our tactical awareness to change games / react to other sides changing things. Even yesterday, we didn't react at all to Cheltenham's tactical changes until they scored. So plenty to work on and improve, I hope this isn't the sum of our aims for next season, We need to aim to improve yet again.

JGrecian23

Surely you can't be dissapointed in how this season has turned out. We had a major blip in the middle, however that happens from time to time with every club.

Class season so far, very happy and well done to all in our club. Last little push to finish in a respectable place.
You can be happy with how the season has turned out in terms of league position and comfortable safety. But you can also be unhappy with the general style of play and lack of entertainment watching us play.

Well I think you can but this seems lost on others in a weird them v us kind of way.

My biggest concern at the moment is there is another big rebuild in the summer and we make such a meal out of recruitment. Hopefully Caldwell and Co can get this right.

Bridgy 81

Bridgy, no one eyes up a trip to Huddersfield
To be fair I was thinking more about the grounds I haven’t seen us play at that I’d fancy a trip to.
That said I’m usually fortunate to be able to hang around for a bit either side of the away matches I go to.
I always find something new and interesting to see, but maybe I’m more easily pleased than other people 🙂

arthur

To be fair I was thinking more about the grounds I haven’t seen us play at that I’d fancy a trip to.
That said I’m usually fortunate to be able to hang around for a bit either side of the away matches I go to.
I always find something new and interesting to see, but maybe I’m more easily pleased than other people 🙂
I for one keenly anticipate your dispatches from Huddersfield and hope you aren't put off by prejudiced comments from people who should know better. Don't tell Mr Jinx, but here is a piece from the Guardian to encourage you

Bridgy 81

^^^^^
Thanks (although I’m not looking to buy a house there).
I see they have a nice Town Hall and a decent statue of a famous person from the area.
That’s always a good start in my book.
I’ve just got to hope Huddersfield get relegated now because as interesting as it looks I won’t be going there unless a City match can be incorporated into the bundle.
Mind you Stockport look as though they’ll be coming up and that’s only under an hour away!

denzel

I for one keenly anticipate your dispatches from Huddersfield and hope you aren't put off by prejudiced comments from people who should know better. Don't tell Mr Jinx, but here is a piece from the Guardian to encourage you

I was merely referring to our abysmal record at the place, and also I would rather not face three more trips to Yorkshire..

^^^^^
Thanks (although I’m not looking to buy a house there).
I see they have a nice Town Hall and a decent statue of a famous person from the area.
That’s always a good start in my book.
I’ve just got to hope Huddersfield get relegated now because as interesting as it looks I won’t be going there unless a City match can be incorporated into the bundle.
Mind you Stockport look as though they’ll be coming up and that’s only under an hour away!
Is the statue of Harold Wilson, as I think he came from Huddersfield and also the first Labour politician to win three GE?

Fareham Grecian

Huddersfield, to an open minded and curious chap like yourself, is full of interest 😄