• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
My point is what happens if we have to sack the Manager because when it looked like we might have to no one had the stomach for it or seemed to know how they would go about it. Mutual back slapping by the board(s) now because their patience has been vindicated by some positive results but the problems not gone away, it never will in football.
so we should have sacked him then?

berniesworld

Safety secured and like it or not Cladwell is here to stay………..

IMG_2311.gif

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh no it isn't.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
1712246900379.jpeg

Spoonz Red E

My point is what happens if we have to sack the Manager because when it looked like we might have to no one had the stomach for it or seemed to know how they would go about it. Mutual back slapping by the board(s) now because their patience has been vindicated by some positive results but the problems not gone away, it never will in football.
Personally, I think they realised the hand Gary Caldwell had been dealt re Nombe and other players leaving and realised the job at hand was for a change and development in playing style and all that entails (probably the sort of conversations had when GC was appointed).

I may be wrong.

If I'm right I wish the Club and Trust had been more robust in explaining it.

berniesworld

elginCity

But IMO the question of whether he is the right person for the job remains unanswered.
Always take a cue from the players during a lengthy miserable run mid-season, perhaps the Board does too. Manage to keep the players onside in tough times, there's always a good chance you'll be right for the job. We know players talk, don't want a relegation on their CVs, and although they might not figure exactly where the problems lie - collectively - especially senior experienced pros like Aimson, Carroll, Sweeney and Wildshutt - will recognise when blame lies with the manager and coaches. As a result tools are downed, not like Chelsea extremes, more subtly, in an attempt to force the change they feel is most needed i.e bring in a new face to right the wrongs in good time.

Never 'felt' that was the case here, body language and effort are telling - only slight doubt was when Zak Jules went lolloping about at left-back up north somewhere, and remember venting about it on here. Almost immediately though he upped his game.

If I sense the players and Board aren't giving up on a manager (whoever it is) - and note they're all digging in, then I'll back 'em. Simple as that.

geoffwp

It is at park level, but ceased being a simple game when it turned pro Geoff, before any of us were born. Human nature is to develop and innovate as well as rehashing old ideas. The trick is to get the message across to the players in a simple way. That's where the great managers and coaches excel 😉
Shankley was wrong then. Oh well.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always take a cue from the players during a lengthy miserable run mid-season, perhaps the Board does too.

Never 'felt' that was the case here, body language ... are telling
With the exception of Aimson, of course, who could be 'happy as Larry' but you'd never know it 😉

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always take a cue from the players during a lengthy miserable run mid-season, perhaps the Board does too. Manage to keep the players onside in tough times, there's always a good chance you'll be right for the job.
The downside of this approach is that if you get in a load of unprofessional players, let them take the ****, they'll probably stick with you, while the club sinks.