• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Can we make improvements to the away end to enhance the away fan experience?

tea stand

I'm all for it, any enhancement of St James Park whether its for home or away parts of the ground. There is certainly extra space for facilities or even capacity at that end (in theory at least!). It also makes sense to keep all away fans in this end rather than splitting up other stands. I have no problems with away fans making as much noise as they can, just needs city fans to do their bit and our players to silence them with plenty of goals (for us!). I'm not a fan of the drum, maybe its my age...never needed one back in the day!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dare one venture to suggest that some of our turgid home no-shows (especially before Xmas) probably did more to "enhance the away fan experience" than a little beer hut at the away end ever could? 🙄

Reactions: DB9

denzel

That seems a bit short-sighted and even a little Trump-esk to me. If we are losing money because we cannot open the bar to away fans, when a threshold is met, and there's a simple, cost-effective solution to that, then let's do it. That's not to say we shouldn't attempt to improve the experience for home fans as well.
I can assure you I despise Trump.
If your motivation is money, answer me why we are giving out free teas and coffees, and how many beers would we need to sell to overcome that??

Colesman Ballz

I'm all for it, any enhancement of St James Park whether its for home or away parts of the ground. There is certainly extra space for facilities or even capacity at that end (in theory at least!). It also makes sense to keep all away fans in this end rather than splitting up other stands. I have no problems with away fans making as much noise as they can, just needs city fans to do their bit and our players to silence them with plenty of goals (for us!). I'm not a fan of the drum, maybe its my age...never needed one back in the day!
A wooden rattle man yourself eh ? Sadly 'elf 'n' safety did for them too ! :p

iscalad

If your motivation is money, answer me why we are giving out free teas and coffees, and how many beers would we need to sell to overcome that??
Basic cost of tea and coffee is very low. A few pence a cup.

denzel

Basic cost of tea and coffee is very low. A few pence a cup.
It retails for £2. If the away fan would have spent that anyway, that's £2 per cup we lose out on. There may be a few that think 'oh that's nice of them' but do they come back?

Boyo

I'm guessing, but say the cost to us of a tea or coffee is £0.05 and we give away 50 per match (I think), the total cost to us would be somewhere in the region of £2.50. If we sell a couple of pies or chocolate bars with that, then we've more than covered the cost.

iscalad

It retails for £2. If the away fan would have spent that anyway, that's £2 per cup we lose out on. There may be a few that think 'oh that's nice of them' but do they come back?
Yes, next year...

Colesman Ballz

Ever heard of a loss leader dummy ? 50 hot drinks probably doesn't come to much more than a fiver in ingredients, and once you get them to the kiosk to collect it, odds are they are going to come away with a £4.50 chunks pasty and/or other goodies at the same time. And by the time half time arrives they are ready to head back again for another cuppa !

JGrecian23

I think the 3 points we usually give them is satisfactory enough.