• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carvery

Hi all, I'm due to be down in exmouth for a few days in April and wondered if anybody knew any nice carvery places, I always used to like the Nutwell lodge but have seen it is now a Toby
Thanks in advance

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
There's no such thing as a nice carvery, try a proper restaurant instead. If you like Chinese you won't do better than the Golden Dragon in Exmouth, or if you prefer pub type grub then there's either the Globe in Lympstone or the Digger's Rest in Woodbury Salterton.

Beyond that you're on your own, but avoid carveries like the plague (if fact you'd be probably find the plague a more pleasurable experience than a bloody carvery).

Colesman Ballz

The Swan Inn alongside Lympstone Station does pretty good food in its restaurant too.

Swanaldo

There's no such thing as a nice carvery.
Horrible, aren't they? Yet people seem obsessed with the bloody things.

fred binneys head

Carveries are great when you've got my kids.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Best Carvery - Farmers Union in Centre of Exeter By The Clock Tower - Good Value / Good Quality

Sponsored By The Long Lost Silver Fox

Alistair20000

While in general agreement with Brother Moxey on the correct analysis of "carveries" Sunday at the Traveller's Rest is half decent.

As regards the FU I rate it on par with the TR but Mrs Al20000 and Miss Al20000 were seriously underwhelmed. Feckin' snobs.

Note: sometimes as part of a democratic group decision one has to partake of a carvery (with reluctance).

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone who dislikes a carvery is weird.

Antony Moxey

Happy to be labeled weird for not liking the councilest of eateries. McDonalds and late night kebaberies put carveries to shame in the fine dining stakes.

LOG

I should just say, and this might mean that i have to hand in my passport, i do think that the traditional roast is rather over-rated anyway.

The problem with a carvery though is that quantity is accepted over quality and the whole self-service side of it reminds me of a motorway service station with people poking about in the veg that you then have to eat. I had one about six months ago and the beef was, no exaggeration, inedible and this was at a place which seems to pride itself on its carvery. I'd say it was as tough as old boots but that would be disrespectful to old boots.

Personally, i'd rather order something off the menu.