• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cat two status

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone have any idea how close we are to obtaining cat two status for the youth academy?
From memory, we needed a covered pitch and some more staff to make it. Is this any closer to happening?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Anyone have any idea how close we are to obtaining cat two status for the youth academy?
From memory, we needed a covered pitch and some more staff to make it. Is this any closer to happening?
The last time I heard anything about it my understanding was that we need a covered pitch, indeed, and a significant number of extra staff. I believe that the higher the category, the more financial assistance there is likely to be from the football authorities (EFL or the FA, or both). No idea where we are with it now but it is a hugely expensive undertaking.

Maybe the plans to update the buildings and facilties, now that, I believe, we have planning permission are a first step? It ain't gonna happen quickly though, if at all.

robchave

What would the benefits be for the club? Especially at our level.

Trapdoor

I dont see why we would pursue this. It wouldnt add much to the premium we get for player sales, it only really impacts EPPP player sale payments but if we get stuck in that stupid process its doomed anyway.

Cat 2 seems like an expensive rubber stamp for very little gain. We should focus on developing the academy in the way which most benefits the players and club. I dont think a Cat 2 label does that.

Red Bill

More likely to attract more talented youngsters in my opinion, which the likelihood of producing more good players to sell on for bigger money. Plus we get more from other clubs when they hoover up our youngsters under EPPP. Got a feeling the amount doubles when you move up to cat 2 i believe. And I suppose the required facilities would also be available for 1st team use as well I imagine, which may persuade more players to sig for the first team if they see top quality facilities out at the Cliff Hill?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
MOney! BUt it would cost to get there! When clubs come to poach our youngsters e.g. Ethan they would have to pay more under EPPP
Further enhanced reputation better quality of scholar attracted?
More competitive fixtures against other Cat 2 Academies, also gives us a chance first hand to see what the championship clubs are bringing through as most are CAT 2 academies
Other than money don't really know

angelic upstart

My understanding, is you'd theoretically bring through better quality players, you would have better quality opponents and you would be more attractive to academy players that didn't make the grade elsewhere.

Pete Martin (CTID)

More likely to attract more talented youngsters in my opinion, which the likelihood of producing more good players to sell on for bigger money. Plus we get more from other clubs when they hoover up our youngsters under EPPP. Got a feeling the amount doubles when you move up to cat 2 i believe. And I suppose the required facilities would also be available for 1st team use as well I imagine, which may persuade more players to sig for the first team if they see top quality facilities out at the Cliff Hill?
Effectively, this is the bottom line. Not only better quality youngsters, but over a much wider catchment area. How many higher category academies are there in this part of the country?

I am sure all the checks and balances will be done IF we ever decide to pursue this.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not cost effective from what I've read, unless we get into L1 and stay up.

Antony Moxey

Given what goes out the door for the money it goes for I doubt we have much trouble attracting local talent compared to the rest of the south west. I would genuinely expect parents to be desperate to get their kids into our academy ahead of more local ones.