• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cat two status

Arthur Davey

Effectively, this is the bottom line. Not only better quality youngsters, but over a much wider catchment area. How many higher category academies are there in this part of the country?

I am sure all the checks and balances will be done IF we ever decide to pursue this.
Agreed, but no doubt the Club/Trust will be damned if they do and damned if they don't 😏

Boyo

Given what goes out the door for the money it goes for I doubt we have much trouble attracting local talent compared to the rest of the south west. I would genuinely expect parents to be desperate to get their kids into our academy ahead of more local ones.
I believe that argyle tried to tap up Ollie Watkins when he was really young, but his mum told them where to go!

That said local academy competition mainly comes from argyle and to a lesser extent Torquay. Further afield Southampton have a big presence in the SW and actively look to recruit. Indeed, there are a few boys at my son's school who play for them. The problem they face is that when they get older, there'll be an expectation to go to Southampton at least twice per week, which for many isn't possible.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I believe that argyle tried to tap up Ollie Watkins when he was really young, but his mum told them where to go!

That said local academy competition mainly comes from argyle and to a lesser extent Torquay. Further afield Southampton have a big presence in the SW and actively look to recruit. Indeed, there are a few boys at my son's school who play for them. The problem they face is that when they get older, there'll be an expectation to go to Southampton at least twice per week, which for many isn't possible.

I know Southampton recruit from Ivybridge Community College and I believe Manchester United (have or did have) some kind of scouting facility there too.

Colesman Ballz

Iirc John Hodge was working for Arsenal, down in Newquay a dozen or so years ago, although I am not sure if this is still the case, and Kevin Miller was helping him.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Given what goes out the door for the money it goes for I doubt we have much trouble attracting local talent compared to the rest of the south west. I would genuinely expect parents to be desperate to get their kids into our academy ahead of more local ones.
It's not just local talent we're attracting now. Kids can move anywhere in the country when they are 16 and more and more appear to be choosing to move to City; I think that was true for both Chieck Diabate and Ellis Johnson who are now junior pros. I've no idea whether or not being a category 2 academy would make us any more attractive to 16-year olds than we already are.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know Southampton recruit from Ivybridge Community College and I believe Manchester United (have or did have) some kind of scouting facility there too.
I don't know about that only the other day in Lee Mill saw a yoof in City academy togs (spotted the Badge) and over the years have seen a number of Academy kids around Tesco at Lee Mill, which always brings a smile to my face bearing in mind the location. Lee Mill kids go to Ivybridge CC generally. May be true though. I believe the Chiefs use them for the ones that want to do egg chasing.

Antony Moxey

It's not just local talent we're attracting now. Kids can move anywhere in the country when they are 16 and more and more appear to be choosing to move to City; I think that was true for both Chieck Diabate and Ellis Johnson who are now junior pros. I've no idea whether or not being a category 2 academy would make us any more attractive to 16-year olds than we already are.
I’m not sure it would. As I said, all parents need to see is how kids are looked after, how quickly they get first team opportunities and how much money they move on for to see it should be pretty much a no brainer when trying to decide which academy to apply for, rather than which category the academy is.

Roberto

How about getting those in charge to focus on Div 1 status.

Antony Moxey

Matt Taylor would be in charge of that. Not sure he’ll have much involvement with trying to move the academy up a grade so I guess all’s well on that particular front.

Colesman Ballz

They already are, what do you think Project 6000 is about ? :unsure: