• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City Oct 11th 7:45 ko Matchday thread.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If that had gone in I think we would have been favourites to go on and win it....
Given the quality of Charlton's subs and with a knackered team a point would have been a great result.

tonykellowfan

My take on that game is when 3 of your back 5 play poorly you will get nothing. This was the Shrewsbury game all over again, much the better side in the middle of the park and very dangerous going forward, but unable to defend well enough.

dommers

But why do we need different ideas? We already have Jonathan Hill to provide an outsider's perspective and if Kev is appointed he will almost certainly have to appoint one or two first team coaches who are also likely to be external appointments.
We don't 'need' different teams although personally I think that a fresh outside perspective, from the person in charge, about a trust owned club would be welcome

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
But why do we need different ideas? We already have Jonathan Hill to provide an outsider's perspective and if Kev is appointed he will almost certainly have to appoint one or two first team coaches who are also likely to be external appointments.
Because to be successful you need a manager that has a vision and can take it somewhere - these are Matt's players, Matt's ideas and Matt's tactics being used. Even the use of pointless subs at the end (never a strength) mirrored MT. Football management is a creative endeavour as much as anything else; how to work with the squad, the players, the facilities, the limitations etc. This is a new step and new era and should be embraced.

Seems like a no brainer to me, but there are a significant proportion of people that think differently to me on here - I do wonder whether fundamentality what you're drawn to (continuity, system v new ideas, fresh approach) might be to do with what job role people have and is reflective of that? Different discussion but interesting all the same :D

geoffwp

We don't 'need' different teams although personally I think that a fresh outside perspective, from the person in charge, about a trust owned club would be welcome
Ahh. There it is. You want someone in who is going to want to dismantle the way our club is run. Its not to do with how we play football it's wanting to cause mayhem in the actual structure that you've never liked, never supported. Is that why you never liked MT? Because he accepted limitations and didn't bad mouth the trust? I certainly can't see how the 6th columnist you'd like in charge would ever be given such a chance quite honestly.

tom_ecfc

Jake should have put the ball and their player into row Z rather than the tippy-tappy type of tackle that he tried to do.
I believe Jake‘s tackle was a ‘Ryan Harley tackle’ 🤣

Bridgy 81

Whenever someone leaves their job and another person takes over there’s bound to be some changes simply because no two people are likely to carry out the same role in an identical fashion.
In this case though it’s one of those unusual situations where we need to replace our Manager (and Assistant) when we’re doing well opposed to badly.
So that’s the reason I don’t think now is the right time for a significantly different approach.
We have a good team who seem suited and comfortable playing in a particular system.
The time for any radical overhaul would for me be if our current form has clearly faltered or when we need to start a new cycle when key players in our present system depart.

fred binneys head

You believe that if you want. I can't wait till I hear who our new permanent manager is and personally hope it's someone new to the club with some different ideas.
Why do you want someone with different ideas? Our current ideas have us mid-table in League 1, developing a reliable stream of talented youngsters, full houses for home games, a strong balance sheet and a cohesive and enthusiastic fan base.

But you want someone with different ideas?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why do you want someone with different ideas? Our current ideas have us mid-table in League 1, developing a reliable stream of talented youngsters, full houses for home games, a strong balance sheet and a cohesive and enthusiastic fan base.

But you want someone with different ideas?
I want someone whom can maintain and enhance this current base personally. That maybe require some new ideas but lets not lose the base.

dommers

Ahh. There it is. You want someone in who is going to want to dismantle the way our club is run. Its not to do with how we play football it's wanting to cause mayhem in the actual structure that you've never liked, never supported. Is that why you never liked MT? Because he accepted limitations and didn't bad mouth the trust? I certainly can't see how the 6th columnist you'd like in charge would ever be given such a chance quite honestly.
You couldn't be more wrong.
As one of the first members to input my £1 to the trust I want the club to remain a trust club forever and more than happy to accept the limitations that brings. I certainly don't think that having a manager not previously linked to a trust owned club means dismantling the club in any shape or form.