• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City newbie. Best place for pre-match pint?

JohnnyD

Hello there

Having just relocated to Exeter, I am looking forward to the first game of the season and hope to convert my wife and kids into regular match-goers.

Can anyone recommend a place fairly close to the ground where we can sample a bit of atmosphere but is not too packed -i.e. good for the kids?

Any info much appreciated and I hope we prove to be a lucky charm in our first visit to SJP!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
FECRACE in the Spot.

David Treharne

Although it's probably a ten minute walk to the ground (I walk very slowly nowadays) I'd suggest The Oddfellows. They've got a small outdoor space and are child friendly. Not especially cheap, but a good selection of ales, ciders and soft drinks, and the food is quite good as well. Apart from the Bowling Green most of the pubs nearer to the ground are 'boozers" and St Anne's Well is often the away fans nominated pub (not that I expect Macclesfield to bring a baying mob of supporters) and it's got its third tenant in 18 months.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As well as the real ale bar in the Centre Spot (£3.50 a pint now!), there is Red Square, which is fine if the weather is good. If the children are of the right age then Junior Grecians opens for non members at 1.30pm and there are plenty of activities to keep them occupied.

JohnnyD

Thanks all. Perhaps lunch in Oddfellows and a pint at the ground.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
As well as the real ale bar in the Centre Spot (£3.50 a pint now!), there is Red Square, which is fine if the weather is good. If the children are of the right age then Junior Grecians opens for non members at 1.30pm and there are plenty of activities to keep them occupied.
HOW MUCH!!!! Bleddy rip-off and I will tell them so.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
HOW MUCH!!!! Bleddy rip-off and I will tell them so.
I've just hassled Neil Le M about this on the train down :)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hello there

Having just relocated to Exeter, I am looking forward to the first game of the season and hope to convert my wife and kids into regular match-goers.

Can anyone recommend a place fairly close to the ground where we can sample a bit of atmosphere but is not too packed -i.e. good for the kids?

Any info much appreciated and I hope we prove to be a lucky charm in our first visit to SJP!
Whatever you do today will have an impact on your future visits of course. If we win you won't be able to alter your pre match arrangements for superstitious reasons. If we lose it'll be your fault. No pressure.;)

JohnnyD

Whatever you do today will have an impact on your future visits of course. If we win you won't be able to alter your pre match arrangements for superstitious reasons. If we lose it'll be your fault. No pressure.;)
Need to think about things very carefully. The kids don't know what they are getting into.

dontpassback

Welcome Johnny d,I hope you and your family have years of joy following the mighty grecians,we might not be the best football team there is,but as a club we are second to none and hopefully you will be part of the Grecian family for a long time UTC !