• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well yes, because the NHS said as much...and still continues to...

Here to help.
That says what I said, Reduces the risk of a serious infection, Nothing about not contracting it once vaccinated

Last edited:

iscalad

Well yes, because the NHS said as much...and still continues to...

Here to help.
This is what you highlighted..
Research has shown the vaccine helps:

• reduce your risk of getting seriously ill or dying from COVID-19
  • reduce your risk of catching and spreading COVID-19
Where is the word prevents?

Mr Jinx

This is what you highlighted..
Research has shown the vaccine helps:

• reduce your risk of getting seriously ill or dying from COVID-19
  • reduce your risk of catching and spreading COVID-19
Where is the word prevents?
And this is where you've allowed DB9 to put words in my mouth.

I was misled in that I thought it would help to prevent it (that's what I took from 'reduce your risk of catching').

It became evident that that was incorrect. Amongst those that we knew, those that caught Covid the most were the ones most jabbed. It was somewhat amusing to then see them give up getting more jabs asking 'well, what's the point?'.

I've never contended the claim that the vaccines help prevent you dying from Covid were you to catch it. I believe that to be true, but then if you're not elderly, obese or have underlying health conditions, you're probably not going to die from it anyway if unjabbed.

iscalad

And this is where you've allowed DB9 to put words in my mouth.

I was misled in that I thought it would help to prevent it (that's what I took from 'reduce your risk of catching').

It became evident that that was incorrect. Amongst those that we knew, those that caught Covid the most were the ones most jabbed. It was somewhat amusing to then see them give up getting more jabs asking 'well, what's the point?'.

I've never contended the claim that the vaccines help prevent you dying from Covid were you to catch it. I believe that to be true, but then if you're not elderly, obese or have underlying health conditions, you're probably not going to die from it anyway if unjabbed.
Won't stop me from getting my jab or the Flu jab this year.

Out of interest do you know how many vaccinated people died of Covid? Are these figure available?

A hell of a lot of "unjabbed" people died as a result of Covid.

Alistair20000

OpinIons are like a$$holes Al we’ve all them, even scientists.
I always think you listen primarily to the expert who has some professional skin in the game, if you’re a politician do you listen to a scientist who will have some form of accountability if the advice they proffer is rubbish or listen to an expert at some Uni somewhere who will just say ‘sorry, my bad’ when their advice goes pear shaped.
The whole world was blindsided by a novel virus we knew next to nothing about, you and Jinx looking at the events 3 years lago and suggesting that you’ve somehow been vindicated re. your opinions is with the greatest respect, a tad rich.
Jinxy and myself pointed out that lockdowns were likely to do more harm than good and we have been proved correct. We preferred to listen to the “science” of the likes of Carl Heneghan and Sunetra Gupta. The government preferred to listen to the likes of the buffoon Neil Ferguson of Imperial College who had been wrong about everything he had previously forecast. It beggars belief that anyone listened to him.

When the first lockdown started it was already as plain as the proverbial pikestaff that Covid was a disease that threatened mainly the elderly with existing serious comorbidities and it was not going to be an existential threat to the human race. The lockdown strategy was a wholly disproportionate blunt instrument that went on for far too long. One might just about be able to justify the first three weeks while taking stock but after that the continuation of the policy was a disastrous failure.

Have you read Professor Mark Woolhouse’s book The Year The World Went Mad ? If not you really should. He supported the lockdown policy at the time but now accepts the error.

Mr Jinx

A hell of a lot of "unjabbed" people died as a result of Covid.
And of those, what percentage were neither elderly, obese nor with underlying health issues?

Not an exact science, but of our wide circle of friends and acquaintances it was roughly zero.
And of that circle, we had one acquaintance in his late 30's, completely healthy, who died of a heart attack less than 2 weeks after a first jab. But then that's a whole other rabbit hole....

tavyred

Jinxy and myself pointed out that lockdowns were likely to do more harm than good and we have been proved correct. We preferred to listen to the “science” of the likes of Carl Heneghan and Sunetra Gupta. The government preferred to listen to the likes of the buffoon Neil Ferguson of Imperial College who had been wrong about everything he had previously forecast. It beggars belief that anyone listened to him.

When the first lockdown started it was already as plain as the proverbial pikestaff that Covid was a disease that threatened mainly the elderly with existing serious comorbidities and it was not going to be an existential threat to the human race. The lockdown strategy was a wholly disproportionate blunt instrument that went on for far too long. One might just about be able to justify the first three weeks while taking stock but after that the continuation of the policy was a disastrous failure.

Have you read Professor Mark Woolhouse’s book The Year The World Went Mad ? If not you really should. He supported the lockdown policy at the time but now accepts the error.
Revisionism 101.
Who ever put forward the theory that lockdowns were a good thing?
Every reasonable voice I heard said that they were a necessary evil to stop the spread of virus we knew next to nothing about.
It’s ok in Chez Al and Jinx to go out on a limb and be a contrarian and agree with Heneghan and the rest, but decisions were being made the ramifications of which you cannot comprehend and under the pressure you could also not fathom.
Were mistakes made? Undoubtedly but spare us the “we’ve been proven correct” line, it’s just silly.

Alistair20000

Revisionism 101.
Every reasonable voice I heard said that they were a necessary evil to stop the spread of virus we knew next to nothing about.
It’s ok in Chez Al and Jinx to go out on a limb and be a contrarian and agree with Heneghan and the rest, but decisions were being made the ramifications of which you cannot comprehend and under the pressure you could also not fathom.
Were mistakes made? Undoubtedly but spare us the “we’ve been proven correct” line, it’s just silly.
Just admit that on this one you are wrong Tavy.

I don’t mind being a called a contrarian when I am right on something.

I hope you are not suggesting Heneghan, Gupta and their ilk are contrarians. All their research and conclusions were carefully thought through and evidence based. Compare the flawed projections of Ferguson and company which were not based on reliable evidence.

Mr Jinx

Revisionism 101.
Well, you said it yourself - no-one likes a smart arse. But hey, that's ok, I'm not here to be liked 😀

tavyred

Just to be clear chaps you personally weren’t right on anything, you latched onto the opinions of scientists who may or may not be proven right who’s theories chimed with your completely ill informed instincts. 😎