• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Danny Butterfield takes player-coach role

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It doesn't matter either way, we are getting value for money. If you were to split his wage, the quality of the player we could afford would be diminished and probably the ability of the coach too.
Although we're not flush for money you'd hope that we are in a position to get in a goodish centre back and a goodish coach.

Although we're not flush for money you'd hope that we are in a position to get in a goodish centre back and a goodish coach.
I have got to know Danny Butterfield pretty well over the last 18months or so. He is a very confident, positive guy, open, honest and not afraid to speak his mind. I have watched him coaching our local team's kids almost every Thursday and he is brilliant with them.

I think that he is a natural born leader and this will help with the coaching of the Academy. He has been involved with coaching responsibilities with the first team squad for sometime now and some will have seen him running their pre-match warm ups.

How good a coach is he? Time will tell and because of that I am not prepared to criticise the guy before he has been given a fair crack of the whip. I also believe that he has been a far better player than some on here think. However, his skill as a player has no bearing on his skill as a coach.

After all Mourinho did not have the pace or strength to make it in professional football and decided to become a PE teacher in Lisbon before becoming the coach/manager that he now is.

If Mourinho's father ( who was the coach of the three teams Mourinho played for) had told him that because he didn't make it as a pro, he would never make a good coach, just how wrong would he have been!

I wish Danny Butterfield every success in his coaching career.

Last edited:

GrecianWonder

Well we are limited for money, every club is. We have finite resources. Getting value for money in areas will allow us to spend more in other areas. Look at the concessions we've had to make in recent years. Even look at our squad at the beginning of this season in comparison to the one that finished it.

Butterfield being a back up if we have injuries while also coaching is better than A.N Other coach and Jordan Tillson for example.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
We dont have to compromise next season remember.

GrecianWonder

We dont have to compromise next season remember.
Doesn't mean we have invite resources and shouldn't be prudent. We have seen the areas we've had to compromise and how Tis has brought in the players he's wanted who are in their prime rather than rely on cheap youngsters or oldies.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Doesn't mean we have invite resources and shouldn't be prudent. We have seen the areas we've had to compromise and how Tis has brought in the players he's wanted who are in their prime rather than rely on cheap youngsters or oldies.
of course we should be prudent. dont get your second point as tisdale has brought in a mix of players. we have relied on youngsters and oldies but now should be a bit better off with the grimes money. Hopefully Butterfield will do very well as a coach and we will have to wait to see how the squad shapes up but the defence clearly needs improving from the season just gone. if Butterfield is back up rather than first choice that will be good imo.

IndoMike

I have got to know Danny Butterfield pretty well over the last 18months or so. He is a very confident, positive guy, open, honest and not afraid to speak his mind. I have watched him coaching our local team's kids almost every Thursday and he is brilliant with them.

I think that he is a natural born leader and this will help with the coaching of the Academy. He has been involved with coaching responsibilities with the first team squad for sometime now and some will have seen him running their pre-match warm ups.

How good a coach is he? Time will tell and because of that I am not prepared to criticise the guy before he has been given a fair crack of the whip. I also believe that he has been a far better player than some on here think. However, his skill as a player has no bearing on his skill as a coach.

After all Mourinho did not have the pace or strength to make it in professional football and decided to become a PE teacher in Lisbon before becoming the coach/manager that he now is.

If Mourinho's father ( who was the coach of the three teams Mourinho played for) had told him that because he didn't make it as a pro, he would never make a good coach, just how wrong would he have been!

I wish Danny Butterfield every success in his coaching career.
I certainly have no reason to question his good character and attitude, Roy. I just feel his playing days might be over and he is untried as a coach. But, who knows, he could turn out to be an important part of the team.

Pobbop

It's not exactly new for any club to promote coaches from the playing staff though is it? Manchester United have done it recently, Liverpool did it,many others do, it's just a normal facet of football, the manager and players know them and presumably like and/or respect them.

IndoMike

It's not exactly new for any club to promote coaches from the playing staff though is it? Manchester United have done it recently, Liverpool did it,many others do, it's just a normal facet of football, the manager and players know them and presumably like and/or respect them.
No, it's not new.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Difference is clubs at that level don't have to balance the budget or consider that taking a player onto the coaching staff may affect not being able to bring another player in during the summer

Also those clubs mentioned at the top level have countless coaches - we don't require that