• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Derby County vs Exeter City Match-day Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
On several occasions last night he twisted himself out of a dangerously tight situation and followed it up with intelligent distribution.
And too often he sold himself down the river by going off on a run, losing it high up the pitch and leaving himself hopelessly out of position (and this isn't the first game it's happened) or twisting himself into highly dangerous positions not too far from our box and getting mugged and putting us in peril (and, again, it's not the first game it's happened). Yes, yes, he's not a centre back but that's where he is playing and, by and large, that's how he has to think and play like.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
And too often he sold himself down the river by going off on a run, losing it high up the pitch and leaving himself hopelessly out of position (and this isn't the first game it's happened) or twisting himself into highly dangerous positions not too far from our box and getting mugged and putting us in peril (and, again, it's not the first game it's happened). Yes, yes, he's not a centre back but that's where he is playing and, by and large, that's how he has to think and play like.
Couldn't agree more.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Couldn't agree more.
I agree. Was he still playing at centre back when he provided the assist for Nombe's winner against Fleetwood?

grecIAN Harris

I agree. Was he still playing at centre back when he provided the assist for Nombe's winner against Fleetwood?
As far as I could make out, yes. In that situation he'd taken up the same sort of position that Sweeney does behind him when Key is playing at wing back. The opportunity opened up and he exposed it to it's fullest. In the first instance though, he was goal side of the ball and correctly positioned to cover off an interception/misplaced pass with Fleetwood a very long way from our goal. It's when he starts running off when the ball is either around or on our side of the half line. There is a time and a place to commit yourself and Key doesn't seem to understand generally when he should or shouldn't go.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
And coach him to trust his left foot more.
And coach him not to bottle challenges

andrew p long

As others have reported, we were the better side first half (Derby manager says they were lucky not to concede in the first half). Whilst Derby were better second half they only rarely threatened our goal.

And , like others, from the away end it looked clear to me that Blackman got the ball. And that his save from the free kick was much better than the tv version made it seem.

Unremarkable result. Draw between an away team a few places above the home team is always a likely outcome:p

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
As far as I could make out, yes. In that situation he'd taken up the same sort of position that Sweeney does behind him when Key is playing at wing back. The opportunity opened up and he exposed it to it's fullest. In the first instance though, he was goal side of the ball and correctly positioned to cover off an interception/misplaced pass with Fleetwood a very long way from our goal. It's when he starts running off when the ball is either around or on our side of the half line. There is a time and a place to commit yourself and Key doesn't seem to understand generally when he should or shouldn't go.
Totally agree. It's frustrating how many times we get caught in possession or give the ball away just inside our own half. It's a delicate balance because you don't want him to start being overly cautious. The sooner we can play three CBs and switch Key back to RWB the better to cut out some of it.

sidney

Fine stadium, made better by the superb City fans, who really contributed to the atmosphere of the game. A good performance all round, especially at the back where Hartridge and Sweeney were very solid. A shout for Archie, too, who was involved in much of our clever midfield interplay. Blackman's save from the free kick, and his command of the penalty area, impressed. I was also struck by the phenomenal fitness of Jay Stansfield: he has both speed and stamina. All in all, a good point, and confirmation that we are not going to be struggling this season. We just looked a very decent team, composed, confident and organized.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was also struck by the phenomenal fitness of Jay Stansfield: he has both speed and stamina.
Given his genes, I wouldn't expect anything else.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is anyone going to mention the moment when Jevani Brown spotted a run by Jay Stansfield up the right and played a perfect curling looping ball into his path from just outside our box to set up a counter attack? (which Stansfield could have done a lot more with if his second touch had been right) Or is it just that he had a quiet game again?