• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Diversity on Exeweb

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just dawned on me recently that we seem to have lost a lot of the female contributors to Exeweb, as far as I can tell from user names and posts (difficult when most of us have anonymous user names).

There used to be loads of females on here (ecfc girl, nursey RIP, Jeannie, etc) but other than Rae I’m not sure we’ve got any now, which is a real shame.

And, expanding the thought a little, I’m not aware that we have many people on here who are BAME, LGBTQ or under the age of 25.

I thoroughly enjoy the debates on here, footy and non-footy, but have we become white, male and stale? I’m a 49 year old white male, so I know I’m part of the problem 😉, but I think the forum would be more interesting and thought provoking if the posters were more diverse.

Anyone else agree? If so, is it just a coincidence or has Exeweb become a place where non-whites and / or young people and / or females and / or LGBTQ people don’t feel welcome / comfortable?

This isn’t something that keeps me awake at night (despite posting this at 4.45am - that’s another reason), just something I thought of the other day.

Bridgy 81

Just dawned on me recently that we seem to have lost a lot of the female contributors to Exeweb, as far as I can tell from user names and posts (difficult when most of us have anonymous user names).

There used to be loads of females on here (ecfc girl, nursey RIP, Jeannie, etc) but other than Rae I’m not sure we’ve got any now, which is a real shame.

And, expanding the thought a little, I’m not aware that we have many people on here who are BAME, LGBTQ or under the age of 25.

I thoroughly enjoy the debates on here, footy and non-footy, but have we become white, male and stale? I’m a 49 year old white male, so I know I’m part of the problem 😉, but I think the forum would be more interesting and thought provoking if the posters were more diverse.

Anyone else agree? If so, is it just a coincidence or has Exeweb become a place where non-whites and / or young people and / or females and / or LGBTQ people don’t feel welcome / comfortable?

This isn’t something that keeps me awake at night (despite posting this at 4.45am - that’s another reason), just something I thought of the other day.
When I first came on here I wondered similar so I created a thread “Are there any women on Exeweb?” on September 21st 2021.
It didn’t get much traction, only receiving 6 responses over a 24 hour period and nothing since.
After an early wobble on here where I thought a particular thread was offensive I limit myself now to the ones where it’s only sport related (with an occasional diversion into music, tv and films).
Like you, I get the impression (as far as it’s possible to gauge) that the vast majority of contributors are male and not especially young.
Although that’s a bit of a shame I’d like to think we’re available to everyone.
I’m certainty prepared to discuss Exeter City at very great length with anyone and frequently do.

older-codger

Personally, I have to say that the apparent constant need to "compartmentalise" people into different categories dependant on their race, colour, sexual orientation or whatever (there are too many to list them all these days) goes completely against the grain. To me people are who they are and I don't care. It has taken me some time since moving to NI to get my head around the clear separation between catholic and protestant - something that when in England I had no idea what people were. Exewebbers are people who share a link through ECFC and as far as I'm concerned, that's enough for me

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
All are welcome.

I know some people in the diverse category are put off by the debate on the social club. I appreciate that young people don't like this "formal" style of debate and I'm well aware that many people sign up and then don't post.

angelic upstart

Ha ha the sun rise was 5.02am today and FBH said it dawned on him at dawn. Sorry, Fred you gotta stay up all night to catch me out.

I like Exeweb, and I'd imagine it's very similar to every other remaining forum for football teams out there. Probably a lot more popular than many of them too. KUMB is the only other one that remains massive that I can think of. That said I don't frequent many others regular.

iscalad

All are welcome.

I know some people in the diverse category are put off by the debate on the social club. I appreciate that young people don't like this "formal" style of debate and I'm well aware that many people sign up and then don't post.
I'm a bit like Bridgy. I don't go on any thread that doesn't interest me. prediction threads, British politics thread, ( I'd have to put people on ignore, which would be a shame) although the USA one is quite amusing, etc.

Radio Free Skaro

The number of Devonians who identify as either being Asian, Black and other ethnically diverse people, as a proportion of the population, has increased by 71 per cent between the 2011 Census and the 2021 Census. Thats something to celebrate in my book !

lamrobhero

I do not do any other social media and have no wish to publish to the world on Facebook/Twitter. I was extremely bored with mainstream media treatments of football. So I tentatively signed up. I do not understand modern football formations or tatics (inverted what?) so I tend not to engage on football issues - currently I do not understand the love-in with Kevin McDonald. I like the nostalgia stuff. I do find sounding off about Politics / The Royal Family cathartic though I find some of the posts in these threads "not very nice" to put it mildly.
Maybe its a quesion of "birds of a feather flock together".

denzel

I appreciate that young people don't like this "formal" style of debate and I'm well aware that many people sign up and then don't post.
I'm a bit confused, what would improve this? Should we move across to TikTok??

i8cornwall

Isn't the average person on exeweb 45 year old, male, buys the replica kit without fail, would watch city play on the moon and will defend the Trust to the very last man, women or child left on God's green earth?