• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Diversity on Exeweb

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Isn't the average person on exeweb 45 year old, male, buys the replica kit without fail, would watch city play on the moon and will defend the Trust to the very last man, women or child left on God's green earth?
Nah the earth is most definitely RED in this part of Debn !

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
45 year old, male, buys the replica kit without fail, would watch city play on the moon and will defend the Trust to the very last man, women or child left on God's green earth?
Did you copy and paste that from my Tinder profile?

tavyred

All are welcome.

I know some people in the diverse category are put off by the debate on the social club. I appreciate that young people don't like this "formal" style of debate and I'm well aware that many people sign up and then don't post.
I know of a couple of posters who are reluctant to post on social club for fear of upsetting the majority lefty cohort that exists there and who can be quite vociferous in their responses sometimes.
Most don’t go there of course because this is a footy forum and a very good one IMO.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know of a couple of posters who are reluctant to post on social club for fear of upsetting the majority lefty cohort that exists there and who can be quite vociferous in their responses sometimes.
Ah yes the People's Republic of Exeweb is hugely intolerant of right wing opinion, whilst our right leaning chums are very sensitive and gentle in the way they choose to debate.*

*Folks, please take two minutes to peruse the Politics Today thread to debunk this nonsense.

angelic upstart

Ah yes the People's Republic of Exeweb is hugely intolerant of right wing opinion, whilst our right leaning chums are very sensitive and gentle in the way they choose to debate.*

*Folks, please take two minutes to peruse the Politics Today thread to debunk this nonsense.
I'd say it's entirely believable for people of any political persuasion. Not that I think it should be.

Nevertheless, this is not about politics. When you look at our fanbase at games it's largely white men, to be expected as Exeter and the surrounding area is and certainly was overwhelmingly white. I grew up in Exmouth and of the 360+ children in my year at school, I don't recall many from minorities. At the time, children would have been bullied and/or beaten up for suggesting they were LGBT and all the other letters on the end didn't exist. Times have changed but the children of today are largely focussed on watching the top six. It's not until they go to City they realise it's cool as ****. So without any kind of history within the family. Someone is less likely to take their child to watch city. The city is growing, so it's important to keep up the excellent work in the community to bring in new fans of all shapes, sizes, races and sexual persuasion.

However, Exeweb would be a "legacy" place for most younger people who likely grab city content from other online means (if they bother at all) so it stands to reason that there's not going to be much diversity. I'd prefer more voices but I can't see it happening personally.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd say it's entirely believable for people of any political persuasion. Not that I think it should be.

Nevertheless, this is not about politics. When you look at our fanbase at games it's largely white men, to be expected as Exeter and the surrounding area is and certainly was overwhelmingly white. I grew up in Exmouth and of the 360+ children in my year at school, I don't recall many from minorities. At the time, children would have been bullied and/or beaten up for suggesting they were LGBT and all the other letters on the end didn't exist. Times have changed but the children of today are largely focussed on watching the top six. It's not until they go to City they realise it's cool as ****. So without any kind of history within the family. Someone is less likely to take their child to watch city. The city is growing, so it's important to keep up the excellent work in the community to bring in new fans of all shapes, sizes, races and sexual persuasion.

However, Exeweb would be a "legacy" place for most younger people who likely grab city content from other online means (if they bother at all) so it stands to reason that there's not going to be much diversity. I'd prefer more voices but I can't see it happening personally.
Good post.

On top of that, if there's a majority of a certain demographic on the forum, naturally chat turns to topics that are mostly relevant to them (Sausages, royal family, Exeter City, things that annoy you, the serious Torquay United thread), which won't be of much interest to a more diverse crowd. Threads that are popular with the majority demographic get the most replies and are bumped up to the top of the forum. I'm not sure what can be done about this or, more to the point, whether it's even a problem.

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Many people get put off Exeweb by the dull, boring exchanges between regular posters and it's small wonder potential new members don't wish to engage. Check out the last few posts on the Pedro Borges thread.

Puts me off and I'm a straight, old, white git.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Many people get put off Exeweb by the dull, boring exchanges between regular posters and it's small wonder potential new members don't wish to engage. Check out the last few posts on the Pedro Borges thread.

Puts me off and I'm a straight, old, white git.
The value of these exchanges is very much in the eye of the beholder though, innit?

tavyred

If Exeweb had existed in my 20’s (I’m now 57) I’d be extremely disappointed in myself if I was a regular contributor.

fred binneys head

Some interesting replies. I don’t think the lack of diversity on Exeweb is a problem as such, I just think it would be a richer forum with more diverse posters. Surely it’s a fact that there are fewer females on here now than there used to be? I only named a few but there were loads.

But maybe part of the appeal of Exeweb is that it’s like a pair of comfortable shoes, you know what you’re going to get and that’s reassuring. Like going to Cheers for a pint, where everybody knows your made up name.