• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

E.C.F.C. V Fleetwood Town Matchday Thread.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
You're wrong. We don't need 3 'ball centre backs' we're in L1 ffs, we have Sweeney and Jules either side who are capable, if you want another ball playing defender switch Sweeney for Aimson, not arguably our best ACTUAL defender. Who gives a stuff if hes passing back or to the side, not his job to distribute forward all the time in the middle of a 3.
If Cheick moved the ball quickly either side of him you would have a point, but that isn't happening. Otherwise it's pretty easy for the opposition to sit on Sweeney and Jules and just let Cheick have it. By the time Sweenz and Zac get the ball, their options are limited. When Cheick came back into the side at the back, he looked more comfortable on the ball, for the last few weeks he has gone back into his safety shell. It shouldn't be past any professional player to play a 10/20 yard pass forward.

As a whole, the players have to be braver and more decisive on the ball to open up space to attack. We done that a few times in the first half. The goal came such a move where we worked ourselves space and numbers down the right and then Sweenz picked the right forward ball, Cole crosses and Vinny comes in and scores. Too many other times we didn't pick the ball because of bad delivery, decision making or not being brave enough to play a pass forward for the risk of giving it away. Of those three options, the third is the most disappointing, for the fans and particularly the bench. Every time when they post a training video, they are working on getting down the sides, crossing and finishing. The players need to put that practise on to the pitch.

BigBankAl

Glad I chose to nurse my cold at home, and go to the tip. Sounds dire as per

Red Devon

Utter rubbish Caldwell…First half so unconvincing and uninspiring despite going in ahead at the break….Second half first 20 minutes completely out played and pinned back in our own penalty area by a lively hungry looking Fleetwood, anyone could see the equaliser coming from a mile away….The introduction of Aimson managed to stready the rocking City ship combined with Fleetwood content to settle for a point from the match…Last ten minutes City finally decide to have a go at finding a winner but it really was too little too late...A point at the end actually felt like good result given the abject performance.

manc grecian

So are the players ignoring the managers instructions or simply not capable of playing Gazball.

Because week after week we are being treated to the same scintillating stuff with no sign of any improvement

C j phill

So are the players ignoring the managers instructions or simply not capable of playing Gazball.

Because week after week we are being treated to the same scintillating stuff with no sign of any improvement
Simply not capable of Gazball. First half, Jules appeared to be refusing to pass to Woods, and Sweeney was refusing to deliver a forward pass to Eiss, when he was making runs between two defenders. I cant imagine that Caldwell instructs them not to pass, but that they either haven't got the confidence or the skill to deliver the required passes.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The players simply can't deliver the football tactic that the manager seeks but he appears not pragmatic enough to try and apply tactics that suit the players collective skill set.
I dont disagree with you but what are the tactics that should be applied to suit the players skill set?

I’m convinced most L1 sides would have been 3-0 up against a terrible Fleetwood side. We should have gone for the jugular but instead we spent the first half keeping possession in our own half.
I was impressed with Woods, but do we really need three centre backs at home with him sat in the David Batty role?
I’m getting very frustrated with Niskannen, there is absolutely no end product from him ever.
Our set up and balance is so disjointed, it was quite obvious Fleetwood would get an equaliser and Caldwell had plenty of time to react before that happened.
I would imagine playing for GC must get boring if your a player let alone for us fans.

Alistair20000

Rankine played well when he came on
I didn’t think he was at his best today :(

JCWhoosh

Got back from the game and thought we were lucky to get the point to be honest.
I thought Woods did well on his first start and we need that competitor in midfield. We also missed Aitchison and that type of player that can turn in midfield and drive at the defence. Too defensive to keep passing backwards in midfield.
I liked the way we dominated the first half and looked very comfortable. They were some big units and won too many 2nd balls in the 2nd half and we struggled to get a foothold back in the game.
For those who boo'd Aimson, give your heads a wobble. It's embarrassing and not clever. He actually played ok and picked out Harper a couple of times with some nice passes when we were pushing at the end.
Disappointed but we march on.

SimonBB

I believe that was Reece Cole’s 10th booking. Not sure if that means anything?