• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Eating Out, Your Dining reviews

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
We had a meal in a Spanish resto down by the riverside in Singapore Wednesday night. The octopus was tough as old boots and tasted like sausages made with beef and milk. The pimientos should have been grilled for much longer so that they would be soft, slightly blackened and sweet, but they were hard. The tortilla was too soft and fluffy, and they forgot to cook our paella. However, I nego-d a free glass of wine, the waitress was Spanish and pretty (hope the wife didn't notice that I noticed) and the location was good.
PS. Sorry for the sexist remark. i do try hard not to do that :$

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Call me old fashioned but it didn't seem sexist to me.

IndoMike

Call me old fashioned but it didn't seem sexist to me.
The times are changing. What used to be ok is now not so OK. The code has changed. There's clearly "wrong" and there's clearly "no problem", but there's a bit of a grey area in between. But it seems that making any comment about a female's attributes is no longer OK. This requires a considerable change in mindset for my generation. So some guys will rail against that, some will have no problem, and some will be confused. I think as the older generation we have to step aside and adhere to the current social codes. I do realize some guys may think I'm talking a load of carp with this.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

The times are changing. What used to be ok is now not so OK. The code has changed. There's clearly "wrong" and there's clearly "no problem", but there's a bit of a grey area in between.
About 50 shades of it ! ;)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The waitress was described as pretty. No one could find any fault with that, surely ? I know it's 2018 and they do things differently here but can that comment really be taken as sexist ? Please tell me I'm right just this once.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
We had a meal in a Spanish resto down by the riverside in Singapore Wednesday night. The octopus was tough as old boots and tasted like sausages made with beef and milk. The pimientos should have been grilled for much longer so that they would be soft, slightly blackened and sweet, but they were hard. The tortilla was too soft and fluffy, and they forgot to cook our paella. However, I nego-d a free glass of wine, the waitress was Spanish and pretty (hope the wife didn't notice that I noticed) and the location was good.
My heart bleeds for ya Mike having to work away in a foreign land the warmth and decent food must be hell to pay ! While us mere mortal's have to put up with overcast grey skies in Exeter having to wait til 3pm for K/O !! that's sarcasm btw mate lol

IndoMike

The waitress was described as pretty. No one could find any fault with that, surely ? I know it's 2018 and they do things differently here but can that comment really be taken as sexist ? Please tell me I'm right just this once.
If a newsreader bloke turned to his co newsreader female presenter and said "you look pretty" he might get sacked. It's the way it is now. Very, very different code of conduct and goes against the caveman who is within all of us. So what I'm saying is the times are changing and we are in an age where we are expected not to refer to people by their looks.

IndoMike

My heart bleeds for ya Mike having to work away in a foreign land the warmth and decent food must be hell to pay ! While us mere mortal's have to put up with overcast grey skies in Exeter having to wait til 3pm for K/O !! that's sarcasm btw mate lol
Pros and cons, Ramone. It's not all sunshine and lounging by the pool.

LOG

I put on my best pair of socks at the weekend and went to the Lympstone Manor for afternoon tea. Not cheap but a very pleasant experience in a lovely location. I was concerned it might be a bit poncy and formal but it was all very laid back and the food was top notch, as you'd hope. I didn't go for the rooibos, mind.

Alistair20000

I didn't go for the rooibos, mind.
Stroudy will not approve of that decision. (n)

Did you also eschew the Tartex canapés ?