• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England v Italy Euro 2020 Final: Match Day Thread

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was thinking there's a lot of Tisdale in Southgate. Failing to make changes, even though it's obvious to everybody that things aren't working being the main one.
I was thinking exactly the same thing Southgate seems to have an Achilles heel when it comes to substitutions and he did not manage the penalty situation properly.

Understood making the substitutions ahead of the penalties but would not have taken Henderson off because he would have been a sound choice as a one of our penalty takers.

Expected better from Rashford but did not agree with his choice of putting Saka in such a pressurised situation when Grealish and Shaw were still in the line up.

Really felt for Kane and Maguire who both took excellent penalties and even more so for Pickford who made two really excellent saves.

Nevertheless the team still did us proud and taking the best team in the tournament to the brink is a major achievement.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Henderson missed his last penalty for England about a month ago. The gormless captain shithouse couldn't get off fast enough.

i8cornwall

I think I've just about stop laughing from last night!

fred binneys head

If Sterling wasn’t going to take a penalty, he should have come off for Rashford or Sancho much earlier so they had a chance to affect the game.

England have done brilliantly and Southgate and the FA (with the building of, and associated strategy associated with, St George’s Park) has dragged us into being a proper team after years of being international also-rans, but Southgate needs to have more courage. He was beaten by Mancini last night.

Red Devon

Bitterly disappointing to lose...but credit to Italy they hung in there and got their reward, we played to deep in the second half and constant pressure told in the end, it’s very hard to play that way and not concede, but Gareth Southgate has a good crop of players and will come again...just have to wait now until the World Cup and that will be very hard to win :(

tavyred

Rosey has already said most of things I wanted to say, the fact is Southgate is our most successful coach since Sir Alf and with this promising bunch of players we should be competing at the ass end of tournaments for the rest of the decade. Back to club football now and my ECFC comfort blanket. 👍

older-codger

After our early goal, I don't recall Donnarumma having a save to make. Sterling was caught up in his own hype and all he did was to run in to blind corners and should have been replaced in the second half. Kane hardly got in to the 18 yd box and proceeded to give the ball away almost every time he was given it. With Calvert-Lewin the only alternative he was hardly going to be substituted (oh for Ollie to give an alternative approach).

The two last minute subs must be the most ridiculous in the history of football. If you are going to introduce them as penalty takers, they should have been brought on with time to get into the game.

Trapdoor

Few points from last night:

1) Saw a lot of people attempting to tailgate, or just straight up break in to the arena. These are the kind of special c*nts who carry knives and spread covid. Hope the police press charges against as many of them as possible. Scum.
2) Didnt hear anyone around me (directly behind the goal at the home end block 111) booing the national anthems. Dunno where the idiots who do that were sitting, because I couldnt hear it.
3) Great close game of football. Italy are a very good side. Maybe Southgate should have gone more aggressive and looked for the second earlier before they scored but who knows...
4) Luke Shaw is incredibly good. Personally I have never been convinced by him in the past but was easy MotM yesterday. Had the Italians in his pocket all day long, showed a few wonderful bits of skill and control, plus his speed, strength were truly impressive.
5) Penalties is a pure lottery. We had to win the game in open play. Credit to all the players who stepped up.
6) F*ck the racist pr*cks on twitter etc. Lock em up.
6) Kane again was pretty anonymous. Not sure if he was getting marked out of the game or what but he didnt get many clear opportunities. Nonetheless he showed excellent leadership on the pitch and was the first person to console Rashford/Sancho/Saka. They will need that support. They are just kids still, so having experienced heads like Kane and Southgate supporting them is absolutely necessary. They will learn and improve.
7) We're gonna win the World Cup. Believe.

Avening Posse

I’m knackered. Been up since 4.40am. I have to stop being ridiculously optimistic and being constantly let down. Has supporting Exeter taught me nothing?. Fair play to Italy, apart from the fouls they played the game with a lot of spirit. Oh well, I will just have to console myself with City winning the league next season

Mr Jinx

Understood making the substitutions ahead of the penalties but would not have taken Henderson off because he would have been a sound choice as a one of our penalty takers.
Made I larf!

Hendo take a pen? Where have you been the past x years?

I’m knackered. Been up since 4.40am. I have to stop being ridiculously optimistic and being constantly let down. Has supporting Exeter taught me nothing?. Fair play to Italy, apart from the fouls they played the game with a lot of spirit. Oh well, I will just have to console myself with City winning the league next season
I doubt you're alone. I think a lot of England fans began the tourney as past caring, then got sucked in as it went on. I think we kidded ourselves after beating Germany (who let's face it, if they had a bit more luck could've won that game themselves), then thrashing an abject and knackered Ukraine.

They got found out against Denmark, but then chickens came home to roost last night.

I must admit I got sucked in for the Denmark game, but I was so appalled I refused to do the same against Italy. In fact I missed bits of it as I was doing kitchen things for the others in the house who still cared.

It came to ET and pens and me and a friend were just guffawing on whatsapp at it all. It had to be man-baby part-time politician Rashford that was chief culprit. Hope he feels a right prïck this morning with his ridiculous run-up. The keeper didn't even have to make a save. I did feel a bit sorry for Saka at the end, but then rage at Southgate for the spinelessness of it all. Pickford saved two pens and we still lost. FFS

Last edited: