• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter 'characters'

I think he was a laner. He looked more like Buddy Holly than Elvis, but that was his name for some reason. He was quite young for a character I always thought. I believe he frequented Tiffanys/Warehouse too.
Whatever happened to Elvis? Legend!!

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another ‘Elvis’ character,more someone who loved to sing Teddy Bear on Karaoke was Dave Stone.He was well known around certain pubs.
He was a legend for the amount of lager he could put away in his heyday,16 pints !
A slim fella,always worked & never suffered from hangovers it would appear.

He passed away earlier this year at the age of 78.

CityTillIDie

Who's your favourite?

I like the often-topless drunk guy with the shopping trolley full of scrap metal.

There's also a little old guy who shuffles along and always (and I mean ALWAYS) has a cigarette on the go.
Rest in peace Tim, true exe legend.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The lady in her late 30’s who does a bit of busking outside M&S on a weekend evening.

I’m guessing she has been living on the streets for a bit.

As already mentioned earlier in the thread if you want to see a load of characters just walk down Sidwell St day or night.There was a regular off his head today on alcohol/narcotics laying down outside the Walk-in Centre with a nice collection of cash beside him including a tenner that someone had dropped him !

Just found this thread and I'm feeling nostalgic. I recognise a fair few of the characters despite the fact that I moved away from Exeter for university 30 years ago and never moved back.