• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bristol Rovers match day thread

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
If good performances don't produce good results averaged over a long period, then they're not really good performances
I think you've just agreed with what I initially posted...

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you've just agreed with what I initially posted...
Yeah, maybe, I don't know. Think these xG metrics etc tend to be quite accurate when averaged over a season. xG more or less equals goals actually scored. On that basis, I'd say the performance would have produced a draw or win most times. Some of the metrics from goalless home games over the past months have been pitiful.

denzel

Love how the same people who were waxing lyrical about us after Barnsley and are **** a hoop about the transfer window are now saying we are a poor side.
I maintain we were unfortunate not to have got a point and whilst we aren't out of the woods yet haven't become a bad team in one game. Hopefully we can have a bit more luck against Peterborough.

Edit: lol that you can't say the word for a male chicken on here

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, maybe, I don't know. Think these xG metrics etc tend to be quite accurate when averaged over a season. xG more or less equals goals actually scored. On that basis, I'd say the performance would have produced a draw or win most times. Some of the metrics from goalless home games over the past months have been pitiful.
Broadly speaking, I think you're right. However, I saw a table a week or two ago, in which of all the teams in League One, we had the biggest discrepancy between xG and actual goals scored and therein, it seems to me, lies our biggest problem.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Broadly speaking, I think you're right. However, I saw a table a week or two ago, in which of all the teams in League One, we had the biggest discrepancy between xG and actual goals scored and therein, it seems to me, lies our biggest problem.
Here's the table I was talking about. Not to much wrong with ourXG, but we're the worst team in League One, by some considerable distance, in converting chances into goals.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that we all need to stick with Sonny. As frustrating as it was that his miss probably cost us the game he has shown he is developing nicely and all strikers miss those at some stage. With regard to the goal it was Harper's weak clearance that was as equally culpable as the ref getting in the way. Ironic that a goal can be disallowed if someone gets in the way of the goalie's sight but I assume there is nothing in the rule book regards ref's getting in the way only if the ball hits them
Having watched refs obstruction today it is the speed of running backwards without looking to obstruct our players. On the wasting time issue even when losing we waste our own time at our throw ins rather than getting ball back in play

Grecian Max

You are allowed to be completely clueless about some things y’know.
We should all live by those rules shouldn’t we ;)

(my trolling of NFL plastics is done)

Alistair20000

are **** a hoop

Au contraire

C0ck

Grecian Max

Love how the same people who were waxing lyrical about us after Barnsley and are **** a hoop about the transfer window are now saying we are a poor side.
I maintain we were unfortunate not to have got a point and whilst we aren't out of the woods yet haven't become a bad team in one game. Hopefully we can have a bit more luck against Peterborough.

We aren’t a great side, I think the way the season has played out so far has shown that

Barnsley was excellent and Rovers away was good, yesterday could have gone either way. As we’ve seen a lot of times this year if we don’t take our chances then the other side normally does. It’s nothing new, just a standard GC home performance.

We haven’t been atrocious in many games, but have dropped a hell of a lot of points by not being incisive enough. I think this where you find people defending Caldwell’s football because it’s not terrible hoofball. Doesn’t make it effective though.

After finding a bit of momentum and moving the ball faster in those wins, it was fairly predictable we reverted to type yesterday.

Hopefully the new signings will help. I think we will stay up on account of there being some really, really poor sides.

As for the signings and squad in general - we’ve signed good players. I think GC knows a good player and recruits well on an individual basis. My problem with him is still his approach play.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster

After taking the time to sleep on it and after a hearty breakfast here's my take.

League 1 / Division 3 is full of mediocre teams ourselves included and Bristol Rovers are just another team that have got a win at Fortress St James. They were not impressive as far as I was concerned unfortunately after their goal their support was, particularly as ours died instantly.

Don't know about their goal but there was definite Referee interference in it but it did look a cracker as it went in. After that it was the basic seven man defence from them which we have very little idea of breaking down, as others have said there is no plan B, and our possession football is slowed right down and becomes lethargic which to a supporter is frustrating, that said we did create opportunities
-Harpers post/crossbar
- Aitchinson's miss - he should be really hitting the target with the amount of time he found himself with
- Sonny's one on one - another day another keeper and it is in
- Cole's one on one - had other options with Sonny running in but I can understand his effort shame it was predictable for the keeper
- Cole's freekick and the rebound with Harris's header so weak and other players around

Probably more but those to me were the noticeable ones and on another day could have been a different story.

The ref was poor and I don't know what the position is where he impedes a player making a tackle, if he had touched the ball he would have had to stop play but not players it would seem. Also have referees had a directive to stop booking players for simulation as there no 42 on a couple occasions went down looking for the penalty and if he had been booked then his booking in the second half would have meant a red. How it was only five minutes added time is unbelievable with the stoppages substitutions and talking to the ref gave, that said we still wouldn't have scored with the way our luck was yesterday

Their No ten, blondie and goalie looked good other than that unimpressive particularly the size of them. Our defence seemed to have the better of Martin and Co. Final note that since his time away KMT seems to have learnt a bit of the dark arts and surprised he wasn't booked by the ref.

We are not a bad team and I expect a better result against Peterborough who won't be coming to park the bus on Tuesday, once we learn how to deliver that final ball, and have a plan B, Eisa will have a field day