• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Derby County matchday thread

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
You can be more direct in your build up play , aggressive in tackles or make it a physical game or change tactics or formation though when it’s evidently not going that well to try and bridge a gap in quality.
Goals change games, I thought Derby’s first goal came after a strong and ambitious start from us and we could’ve easily been all square at 1-1 at H/T.
We conceded an early-ish goal 2nd half and with Derby’s quality the die was unfortunately cast with regards to the final result.
There are way more variables that feed into the final score of a football match than you think.

kuznetsov

I don't get (or accept) the view that Derby, or anyone else near the top, are a free hit, or somehow unbeatable for us. A quick look at Derby's results show plenty of lower teams have competed with them (Reading, Burton, Shrewsbury, Charlton, Fleetwood). They haven't rolled over anyone apart from us. GC's team is too soft.

tavyred

I don't get (or accept) the view that Derby, or anyone else near the top, are a free hit, or somehow unbeatable for us. A quick look at Derby's results show plenty of lower teams have competed with them (Reading, Burton, Shrewsbury, Charlton, Fleetwood). They haven't rolled over anyone apart from us. GC's team is too soft.
How did those teams who you say competed well against Derby fare against Barnsley and Peterborough? 🤷‍♂️

yticretexe

How did those teams who you say competed well against Derby fare against Barnsley and Peterborough*? 🤷‍♂️
*10 men Peterborough

tavyred

*10 men Peterborough
….and?
Look I know some on here are loathed to give GC any credit for anything but as it currently stands his team has a better record than at least 10 other teams in our league. If our poor results against Derby are an outlier in comparison to other teams at our end of the table, why shouldn’t we also factor in how our good results against other top teams compare?

arthur

Does anyone actually 'boo'? If by booing you mean do I spent most of the game shouting at Niskanen to beat a man, or asking a forwar to actually move for once, then yes I boo all game.

If you actually mean standing there saying boo all game then not sure anyone does that. Let's get some perspective 😀
Screenshot_20240214_083010_Chrome.jpg

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've won 4 games out of the last 6. Derby weren't spectacular, but they were very efficient on the night and gave our players who like to move with the ball very little change. Despite that, we created and missed a fair few chances. Don't think we were overwhelmed, just think we came up against a better side, who took their chances. Could've been better... The goals were too easy and we didn't convert our own good situations into goals... But far from the horror football from earlier in the season.

A much , much, much better showing than at Pride Park.

tonykellowfan

I though that there were some good signs in the game yesterday but also frustrating aspects.

I don't understand why we start with Aimson and Niskanen when clearly Sweeney and Rankine are better players.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I though that there were some good signs in the game yesterday but also frustrating aspects.

I don't understand why we start with Aimson and Niskanen when clearly Sweeney and Rankine are better players.
I presume Sweeneys game time needs to be managed and Rankine isn't defensively sound enough to start.

denzel

On last night's showing Aimson was better than Sweeney