• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient Match day Thread.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s not an aversion to any player useful in the box Max , my guess is it’s spending a fee for them.And unfortunately you can’t get good strikers for tuppence.I feel sorry for GC , certainly knows what he wants apart from being able to buy them , and I’m not going into where the money we got in for players is being allocated or whether it’s in instalments or whatever.Frustrating , but that’s City and I guess always will be.Sometimes you think , so near yet so far…….
So I am a Caldwell fan, in general. BUT I don't feel sorry for him to not being able to buy every player he wants.

There's a quality/quantity balance to be had. My hunch is that we've leaned too far towards quality, spending heavily on fewer high quality players, leaving little budget for back up.

Every manager can identify quality targets, but the real skill is putting together the best possible quality squad, not the best possible quality starting XI.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Does anyone on here think Orient are crap? They were the worst team by far I've seen since promotion. However, they had a game plan based on our forward free team ( no disrespect to Sonny, but asked do a job that isn't his game) and it worked. My neck is still aching from looking at the ball being constantly in the air. Their one dimensional football of high balls and long throws were just too much for our injury plagued team. Every corner of theirs was an inswinger and once in our half all their throws were long into the box(their no.2). They did their homework on Woods and it worked. Shades of Northampton in the play off final.
Once our key players are fit we will be very competitive.
I thought they were decent. If we’d gone away and created that much people would have been praising it despite only getting 2 goals.

Lots of energy for a crazy hot day, strong, tactically astute - the way they choked the life out of our midfield was impressive. Really liked their no.15 in the middle who I thought ran the show. Up front they had that rare species that is impossible to sign - a straightforward no.9 who was a handful all game.

Dominated from start to finish across all the areas of the pitch. Miles ahead of the likes of FGR from last season.

Definitely crap though. Bloody Woods.

iscalad

Which great save was this?

Attachments

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
Home shirts still in the wash?
pairing black shirts with red shorts has the look of a parks team

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Home shirts still in the wash?
pairing black shirts with red shorts has the look of a parks team
I think we may have been celebrating something, hence the Trust shirts!

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
I think we may have been celebrating something, hence the Trust shirts!

Silly me! should have known

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good honesty from Caldwell about the injury to Muskwe.sounds like he was over stretched too soon in training and he won't be asking that of a new player not yet match fit in future.

There has been a lot of talk about how many plans Caldwell has in comparison to Taylor.I think Orient understood all the plans we had available to us today and countered them.Ithink the management team will be spending some time on that this week while we are matchless to come up with a couple of variations.

ECFC-GC

With four players out injured, plus two on international duty, has highlighted the lack of depth and quality within the squad, laying too much reliance on the inexperienced former academy youngsters and a totally inadequate 2nd choice keeper, Woods. The management and powers that be at the club must take full responsibility for this poor showing.
On top of that we have sold our one serious No 9 who we will seriously miss. There is little point in having £'s in the bank or training facilities when a fair few of the players contracted are just not good enough. Over the longer timescale performances such as today will have negative vibes with some fickle supporters and the club will suffer.
The balance between good management and a good squad is a fine art which GC seems quite capable of achieving but unfortunately came unstuck today!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
GC's interview will be fascinating. He mentioned in at least a couple of interviews that they had "all based covered" with regards deadline day and that they were prepared for "every eventuality"...

It certainly didn't look like we were prepared for any eventuality today never mind every...

Wildschut and the returning Finns will help but Aitchson on crutches looks worrying...
Aitch on crutches ? Can you expand on this ?

Banksy

GC's interview will be fascinating. He mentioned in at least a couple of interviews that they had "all based covered" with regards deadline day and that they were prepared for "every eventuality"...

It certainly didn't look like we were prepared for any eventuality today never mind every...

Wildschut and the returning Finns will help but Aitchson on crutches looks worrying...
Wildschut? Are our hopes pinned on him , is it certain , is he any good more to the point?