• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City versus Oxford United matchday thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

tom_ecfc

Goal 2 - 2 players offside from header
From the replay (from a poor angle), the only player that could have played the goal scorer on was Kite, who was in the left back position. To me the striker looked about 1 yard offside, if you try and look at the shadows. One for VAR!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
We were poor today, there's no hiding from that. It didn't help that we got beat by the best side to turn up The Park so far who exploited every mistake we made to the maximum. That said, there is some drivel being spouted on here. Players not playing for Nicholson...... really? It's the same players who turned out a result last week that none of us really expected. It's the same players who, aside from such individual errors, played really well at Charlton by all accounts on Tuesday. Blackman at fault for the goals again today..... are you sure? The first one he has his side of the goal covered and should expect the wall to do it's job. It didn't. Blackman's fault? I don't think so. The second one, save's the first shot and it falls to a player two or three yards in front of him who is possibly offside anyway (I'm still waiting to see it back to have a defintive opinion on that one) and you expect him to save it???? The third one is a daisy cutter taken early right inside the post, he's doing well to get down to save that even at 6'7". The only one I might question is the fourth where he might have been a bit slow getting down to the initial shot but he's left undressed as far as cover is concerned for the rebound.
I would question Nicholson's decision making when he changed the shape of the side to 4-3-3, not as to the formation but who he deployed where up front. We all know Nombe is a strong bustling player who can look after himself and Brown is a touch player who can manipulate time and space really well, so why play Nombe out wide where there is time and space and Brown down the middle with two brick s$!thouse defenders to contend with?

Cowshed Grecian

How the hell have we conceded 8 goals in 2 games? Playing with pretty much 5 at the back. Need to sort out this defence-That’s the problem!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
He won't see us next week as he's suspended. If he's got a knock it's probably not a bad thing. Come back for the Argyle game, partner Diabate and Hartridge in a back 3 and with the new manager bounce in full flow we'll cause a shock.

grecIAN Harris

How the hell have we conceded 8 goals in 2 games? Playing with pretty much 5 at the back. Need to sort out this defence-That’s the problem!
Try looking ten yards in front and you might find the problem. We are only playing with two in central midfield, due to the lack of fit numbers, instead of the usual three not to mention the blindingly obvious of playing Key (who has almost no understanding of his responsibilities back there) back there. Get Stubbs or Diabate back in there and watch things tighten up immeadiately and go back to three in the centre of midfield and watch things tighten up even more.

Citygaff

I have not seen any of KN other games so an only judge on this game. Its MT team and KN has tried to keep continuity at first. Which is what our team needs imo, at this stage not uncertainty. However Oxford looked at our team and Karl Robinson come up with tactics to beat us. Started with a man to man on Jevani, Cameron Branagen as a deep laying playmaker with two wingers. So a 4 2 3 1.

The 1st goal, Stansfield was the player to close down the ball when touched, he was blocked off. Why did we not have someone behind the wall on the floor? KN needs to look at whomever deals with defending set pieces.

2nd Goal, Sweeney wins the ball, ref gives a foul, books Sweeney, free kick comes in , offside should have been given, Oxford score. I am sure if we where in Sweeneys position we would not have shown such composure to the officials.

3rd goal, dreadful ball from Caprice, not sure why Nombe was on the right touchline, but we changed to a 4 3 3 when Sweeney went off, why was Jevani centre and not Nombe, not best angle but could Blackman have done better?

4th goal, had chance to win 1st and 2nd ball, failed, challenge to bring branagan down didn't work, ref played on, no one followed up well placed shot.

I feel if result had gone our way today, board has an easy decision to make, KN would get the job. Now they have to look at it again.

KN has looked at the squad and felt if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially with the current injury list. Now if he gets to manage the Forest Green and Fleetwood games we will see what he is about and can do with the squad.

ryancooper327

Traveled to Exeter today… Planned to do some remote work and then head to the match.

Remote work spilled over and now I’m sat in the city centre working, ticket in my pocket!

Come on City, make the work overspill tolerable!
I fixed some stuff in the end regarding my work if anyone wanted some good news?

iscalad

Try looking ten yards in front and you might find the problem. We are only playing with two in central midfield, due to the lack of fit numbers, instead of the usual three not to mention the blindingly obvious of playing Key (who has almost no understanding of his responsibilities back there) back there. Get Stubbs or Diabate back in there and watch things tighten up immeadiately and go back to three in the centre of midfield and watch things tighten up even more.
We certainly played better from when Kite moved into midfield.

Alistair20000

Yeah, nowt against Jay but that was an inexplicable decision. MJ for me.
I would have gone for Archie as MJ played only a bit of the game.

Now for the really big question of the day.

Did you slide away for a few minutes at 16:00 to watch Baaeed in the Champion Stakes as you did in 2012 for the mighty Frankel ? :)