• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Fleetwood Town match day thread

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great result City , well done.Was the new manager lurking somewhere ? 🥳🥳🥳

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A much improved defensive performance today and apart from the deflected goal Fleetwood never really looked like scoring, even when we had Dieng and Key in the back 3. Cheick being back back obviously made a big difference but the whole team were much solid than last Saturday. Going forward we weren't at our fluent best but our strikers are so good and so clinical that we don't need to create lots of chances. It was also good to see us getting on the end of crosses which we don't always do; Jay Stansfield forced the keeper into a good save from a Jack Sparkes cross and then the winner came from a Josh Key cross.

geoffwp

He was in the dug out.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Remarkably we're 8th!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Remarkably we're 8th!
But have only played one of the teams above us. Or, to put it another way, 6 of our next 8 games are against the teams currently in the top 6.

haka

8th flatters us a bit (the middle third is squeezed) but more to the point, it's a long way down now to the relegation zone. Which is about as much as we could ask for in current circumstances.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Caldwell, in the directors box apparently.

Banksy

Caldwell, in the directors box apparently.
Oh , so as predicted by the papers a while back , no surprises.

Bridgy 81

This afternoon’s match effectively marks the end of the first third of our league season.
Currently we’re 11th in the table with 18 points from 14 games.
We’ve had 5 wins in the league, 2 of which were away from home, and 2 of which we won 4:0.
Our 2 main strikers have scored 13 goals between them (Brown 8, Nombe 5) and Jevani is the second highest scorer in the league.
We have a positive goal difference (+4) and are above all 3 of the other teams promoted with us last season.
Excluding Barnsley away we’ve clearly had a wobble in the past few weeks but the obvious factors for that are losing 4 of our ‘boot room’ in very quick succession, including our Manager, and the almost complete decimation of our central defensive unit necessitating a combination of people having to play out of their natural positions and youngsters being introduced who, through no fault of theirs, are not yet ready.
And all this whilst attempting to compete at the highest level for us in the last 10 years and against teams with much larger squads and much bigger budgets.
It seems like we have a new Manager lined up now and it would appear that it’s not Kevin.
But I think he’s done well in extremely difficult circumstances and am appreciative of that.
Whoever the new Manager is I hope he can build on the foundations he’s been presented with on and off the field, which I think are as strong as they’ve been in all the time I’ve been following City.
I know I‘ve focussed on the positives in this summary and I know there’s likely to be further choppy waters ahead (probably starting in January) but if in July you’d offered me our current position, especially now having had the unexpected and unhelpful things that have happened to us since, I’d have taken it without hesitation.
Edit:
8th place now this evening after near enough a third of the season.
6th league win, one more added to our positive goal difference and one more each for Sam (6) and Stanno (4).
Win on Tuesday against some team or other 3 places below us and we could be in the playoff positions.
Well played lads and thanks to Kev.
If this was his final game in charge, played 4 in the league, won 2 lost 2. Not bad at all in the circumstances.
Hope Cheick is ok.
Looking forward to being in Derby next week.

hillview red

Great win and lots of very good performances.

But... Josh Key - take a bow. Produced the moment of the match and reminded us what we're missing without him at RWB. I know there has been concern about having only 2 in midfield but I think the issue has been exacerbated with Caprice in the team. On Tuesday when Sweeney comes back and Josh gets back to his usual position I think we might be back to our form earlier in the season.