• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Wycombe Wanderers Matchday Thread (Boxing Day 2023)

Exehausted

My mates mum sat next to us with his dad today and she said “I think that number 11 should come off, he’s not very good” having only been on for about 5 minutes 😂
Somebody near me shouted "take Scott off and play with ten men!"

AndyR

A huge relief and City absolutely deserved to win. In the second half we were breaking forward and creating lots of chances but there is no doubt a gaping hole in our front line which needs filling in January. All credit though to Sonny who looked much stronger and confident after his loan spell and who was in exactly in the right place at the right time, and also to Jack Aitchison who put a real shift in. Thought that all the defence did well but in particular, Cheick and Zak were outstanding.

After an all-too-familiar-recently first half, I thought Carroll really perked up in the second half and played some accurate and piercing forward passes, to the point where I was disappointed he was substituted. My MOTM though was Cole who I thought was immense throughout and justified his choice as skipper.

Although I haven't seen a replay of it, the penalty decision in the 4th minute of injury time looked absolutely appalling, the type of kick in the teeth that can relegate clubs and cost Managers their jobs whereas there doesn't seem to be any meaningful comeback against the people that make those decisions.

Finally, today's win means that we are still 3 points clear of the bottom four and there are only 10 points spanning the 11 teams between bottom place and 14th. Many of those teams are bang average, including Wycombe today. Despite our horrendous run of results, our position is completely retrievable but requires forwards who know where the net is to be signed in January together with one or two others. I wish GC and the Club well in their efforts because the outcome of our season probably depends on it.....

Exehausted

A huge relief and City absolutely deserved to win. In the second half we were breaking forward and creating lots of chances but there is no doubt a gaping hole in our front line which needs filling in January. All credit though to Sonny who looked much stronger and confident after his loan spell and who was in exactly in the right place at the right time, and also to Jack Aitchison who put a real shift in. Thought that all the defence did well but in particular, Cheick and Zak were outstanding.

After an all-too-familiar-recently first half, I thought Carroll really perked up in the second half and played some accurate and piercing forward passes, to the point where I was disappointed he was substituted. My MOTM though was Cole who I thought was immense throughout and justified his choice as skipper.

Although I haven't seen a replay of it, the penalty decision in the 4th minute of injury time looked absolutely appalling, the type of kick in the teeth that can relegate clubs and cost Managers their jobs whereas there doesn't seem to be any meaningful comeback against the people that make those decisions.

Finally, today's win means that we are still 3 points clear of the bottom four and there are only 10 points spanning the 11 teams between bottom place and 14th. Many of those teams are bang average, including Wycombe today. Despite our horrendous run of results, our position is completely retrievable but requires forwards who know where the net is to be signed in January together with one or two others. I wish GC and the Club well in their efforts because the outcome of our season probably depends on it.....
I'm glad you picked out Cole because I also thought he was magnificent. Carroll too, like you, I thought had a good second half. Also, the crowd at the end, lead by the BB, but well supported by the other two stands, was fantastic. The choice of music, Rocking all over the world, Free from desire and Sweet Caroline really helped to create a euphoric atmosphere as we left. All the disappointment of recent months seemed a long way away. I just hope we don't come back to earth with a bump on Friday! Up the City!

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Scott did pretty well when he came on today. If I had a complaint, it would be that he was too ambitious and kept trying tricks, which risked conceding position, when we were already 1-0 up.
Relative to previous performances, tend to agree - 'pretty well' is fair. He took on Sonny's role of closing down the keeper at pace (relatively-speaking) and linked play effectively on occasion, he looked to me far more mobile than of late until running out of steam. The attempted fancy chest pass only to lose possession was frustrating as all he needed to do was hold it up. Likewise the little dink inside from the touchline was far too clever by half, and which again resulted in losing possession. The sort of tricks, great if you're 5-0 up, and if they come off it's wow, but annoying when they don't, especially with a solitary one goal lead. There's a player there, somewhere.

Mid Devon Grecian

That ‘player’ fails to show up every time he’s selected or brought on as a sub. How many chances do you give him?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
You missed out Cheltenham who have been by far and away the worst side at The Park all season. You seem to be a bit like Max and don't get the correlation between the lack of a striker and our problems over the last three months, not just in actually scoring goals but in our general play which then creates a very different dynamic for us. I'll put an example to you, you'll remember Reece Cole's winner against Reading. Do you think we have had the ability to score a goal like that during our poor run? If not, why not?
Not sure it would be fair to accuse me of missing the fact we're a bit short of options up top. It's a massive self-inflicted wound that I've probably ended up on quite a few ignored lists for going on about on here for months. It's not all that's wrong though.

CWH-NYC_

That ‘player’ fails to show up every time he’s selected or brought on as a sub. How many chances do you give him?
None!

Grecian Max

Last 10 games form table reflects what I saw today… 2 poor teams

Have some hope we can use the three points as springboard though, much more than the Stevenage draw

IMG_4010.jpeg

elginCity

Talking about his performance today, thought he did better than some others are suggesting, but he's an enigma alright.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Last 10 games form table reflects what I saw today… 2 poor teams

Have some hope we can use the three points as springboard though, much more than the Stevenage draw

View attachment 14293
Lot of springboards and corners going on of late. Big hope is the transfer window. There's no prospect of GC leaving now before the transfer window, so just have to hope whatever business we do improves us enough to put enough points on the board. Think it's a long shot personally, but that really influential player or two can make a big difference.