• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Wycombe Wanderers Matchday Thread (Boxing Day 2023)

Mid Devon Grecian

Talking about his performance today, thought he did better than some others are suggesting, but he's an enigma alright.
He’s not an enigma, he’s just not good enough to waste a wage on.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Last 10 games form table reflects what I saw today… 2 poor teams

Have some hope we can use the three points as springboard though, much more than the Stevenage draw

View attachment 14293
We are top of the league, say we are top of the league.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure it would be fair to accuse me of missing the fact we're a bit short of options up top. It's a massive self-inflicted wound that I've probably ended up on quite a few ignored lists for going on about on here for months. It's not all that's wrong though.
It is the creation of all that is wrong. It effects everything we do when we have possession of the ball especially in today's possession football. If you go forward and you don't have option in front of you, the onus is to keep the ball so where do you go? Sideways or backwards, which is alright when you can go the other way and get to the final destination but then when you have the same problem going the other way what happens. You eventually get closed out. The crowd gets frustrated, the players lose confidence and the ever decreasing circle begins. The next thing that happens is the manager gets called into question and then all sorts of suggestions start flying about, players don't care, manager has lost the dressing room etc etc, further unrest among the fanbase, calls for manager to be sacked and so on. .
Now to the best of what I can judge from what I see, I don't think Caldwell has lost the dressing room. They have continued to follow what he wants. There hasn't been any out of the ordinary spats between players or between players and touchline which would suggest that such issues existed.
In that is where I would question Caldwell and showing a lack of adaption to the situation. Quite how he would have adapted it would have been hit and hope. Not having a striker is like not having a goalkeeper. You can try who you like but if whoever try hasn't got it to do the job. You've just got to hope you stumble across somebody with the right attributes, just as Cooper did with Dazza all those years back (lest we forget he was a failing left midfielder when he came to us).
How we ended up in this situation I don't think we will ever really know. Believe what we were told that deals fell through at the minute or question why these deals weren't done in days before because we knew Sam was going regardless, if indeed that was the case.
But all in all, the last three months comes down to one simple thing alone because if we had a striker I confidently believe we'd be above Cambridge at least. With the wins comes confidence and a little bit of that in the first instance can start to take you a long way especially if it builfs. It also takes away the question of manager, players, tactics (certainly to the degree that it is at the moment although I don't think it ever goes away totally) because the game plan is working better and we as a fanbase ate a whole lot happier.[/QUOTE]

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
You're spending a lot of words preaching to the choir, here. I've gone on at length about how the lack of options up top limits how we can move the ball forward. It's not our only problem though. Caldwell would be seriously unlucky if he'd been landed with no strikers, out of his control, at three consecutive clubs... But the results are similar and the style described by fans of Partick and Chesterfield is eerily familiar.

Mid Devon Grecian

It is the creation of all that is wrong. It effects everything we do when we have possession of the ball especially in today's possession football. If you go forward and you don't have option in front of you, the onus is to keep the ball so where do you go? Sideways or backwards, which is alright when you can go the other way and get to the final destination but then when you have the same problem going the other way what happens. You eventually get closed out. The crowd gets frustrated, the players lose confidence and the ever decreasing circle begins. The next thing that happens is the manager gets called into question and then all sorts of suggestions start flying about, players don't care, manager has lost the dressing room etc etc, further unrest among the fanbase, calls for manager to be sacked and so on. .
Now to the best of what I can judge from what I see, I don't think Caldwell has lost the dressing room. They have continued to follow what he wants. There hasn't been any out of the ordinary spats between players or between players and touchline which would suggest that such issues existed.
In that is where I would question Caldwell and showing a lack of adaption to the situation. Quite how he would have adapted it would have been hit and hope. Not having a striker is like not having a goalkeeper. You can try who you like but if whoever try hasn't got it to do the job. You've just got to hope you stumble across somebody with the right attributes, just as Cooper did with Dazza all those years back (lest we forget he was a failing left midfielder when he came to us).
How we ended up in this situation I don't think we will ever really know. Believe what we were told that deals fell through at the minute or question why these deals weren't done in days before because we knew Sam was going regardless, if indeed that was the case.
But all in all, the last three months comes down to one simple thing alone because if we had a striker I confidently believe we'd be above Cambridge at least. With the wins comes confidence and a little bit of that in the first instance can start to take you a long way especially if it builfs. It also takes away the question of manager, players, tactics (certainly to the degree that it is at the moment although I don't think it ever goes away totally) because the game plan is working better and we as a fanbase ate a whole lot happier.
[/QUOTE]
Looked like Aimson was remonstrating with the bench on 25mins, disagreement with Cole at a free kick.

Aimson/Vil also had spat when miscommunication happened over who was going for ball.

Maybe Aimson needs to move on or something more fundamental the problem?

Grecianman135

I thought Scott did pretty well when he came on today. If I had a complaint, it would be that he was too ambitious and kept trying tricks, which risked conceding position, when we were already 1-0 up.
I know it's been an exciting day so willing to let you off for your opinion but he's a liability,yes the tricks are true and pointless,but he doesn't even look comfortable playing anymore to me IMO the injury has battered him physically and mentally,and it's ludicrous to expect Cox to lead the line despite how well he's done still going to take a hell of a lot to keep us up IMO,two strikers might ease the burden but far to many passengers,lost all patience with Caroll at this point,Dion is very frustrating,Scott's a liability,Muskwe is a train wreck,Aimson played well today but he has his moments.

Still need a few bodies in and a few bodies out.

And still need Gary out,I hope we can build on today I really do but I'm just not overly optimistic about it,and I don't want to downplay a good performance but we've had one good performance in three months which doesn't make up for anything yet IMO.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
yes it’s exciting because we’ve not won in 3 months but in reality it’s a lucky 1-0 win against below average out of form opponent’s with the opposition missing a penalty in the final minute to equalise.

it’s not a 4-0 win with free flowing football it’s not 4-5 wins on the spin….

I really really don’t want to hear before the Pompey game that this is a “building block” as when we heard that after beating Swindon we lost 7-0 & after drawing 1-1 against 10 man Stevenage we then lost at home to Port Vale…

take the win, move onto Pompey & then bring in players in January…

1 win doesn’t repair 3 months of utter misery.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Looked like Aimson was remonstrating with the bench on 25mins, disagreement with Cole at a free kick.

Aimson/Vil also had spat when miscommunication happened over who was going for ball.

Vil was very much the guilty party in the play that led to this particular altercation, and Aimson wasn’t nearly as aggressive or dismissive as other times this season. Vil was very much apologising, and rightly so.

manc grecian

Vil was very much the guilty party in the play that led to this particular altercation, and Aimson wasn’t nearly as aggressive or dismissive as other times this season. Vil was very much apologising, and rightly so.
[/QUOTE]

Vil came for the ball and got it. He probably didn't need too but Aimson is like my wife. Can't move on and always has to turn round and have the last word. Get on with the game and stop waving your arms round.

grecIAN Harris

[/QUOTE]
"Oops, sorry Vil" is that what you're expecting? I notice you're targeting boo boys favourite Aimson and mention nothing of Vil digging Chieck out when he sold him short with a backpass in the first half.
Of course it happens during a game but it hasn't been happening what I would call excessively which would in turn suggest the manager losing the dressing room.