• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women

Saint James

Women's teams playing in the same stadium as their male counterparts:

Women's Super League: 0

Women's Championship: 2 Barnet and Lewes
Thanks for bringing some much needed facts to the table. That at last puts this debate to bed

Dannyred

Thanks for bringing some much needed facts to the table. That at last puts this debate to bed
He forgot to mention that Man City built a 12,000 seater stadium next door for the women’s team and all the women are full time players.
Chelsea bought the women’s team there own stadium.

Manchester United bought there women’s team a 12,000 seater stadium which is stunning.

Arsenal are looking to buy a stadium for the women.

Liverpool play at Tranmere

Then you look down and you will find many League clubs opened their doors to the women’s teams even city once.

Are Exeter City really a family club If they don’t let women play at SJP or give young girls that dream of playing there.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
You also neglect to mention that those teams are 3 or 4 leagues above Exeter and bankrolled by billion pound companies.

Your argument is like suggesting that ECFC men’s team need a 75k seater stadium because Manchester Untied have one. It literally makes no sense.

ECFC must cut it’s cloth sensibly, now you’re wittering on about full time status. For someone apparently so au fait with the women’s game I’m surprised you seem unaware of the plight Yeovil Town Ladies/Women found themselves in after stretching too far, too quickly into an unsustainable position.

Last edited:

Dannyred

You also neglect to mention that those teams are 3 or 4 leagues above Exeter and bankrolled by billion pound companies.

Your argument is like suggesting that ECFC men’s team need a 75k seater stadium because Manchester Untied have one. It literally makes no sense.

ECFC must cut it’s cloth sensibly, now you’re wittering on about full time status. For someone apparently so au fait with the women’s game I’m surprised you seem unaware of the plight Yeovil Town Ladies/Women found themselves in after stretching too far, too quickly into an unsustainable position.
You needed to read and understand what I was replying too before you jump. Again I didn’t mention the city women going full time but I also don’t think they should pay either to play.

However you did fail to mention If we really are a family club ?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Danny. Does the club or Trust contribute towards any of the Women's team's costs?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
You needed to read and understand what I was replying too before you jump. Again I didn’t mention the city women going full time but I also don’t think they should pay either to play.

However you did fail to mention If we really are a family club ?
Again, maybe comprehension isn't your thing, I've seen nobody mention that they should be paying to play.
You never mentioned anything regarding them paying to play, only that the teams you seem to think we should be mirroring are full time in 12k stadiums.
In case you forgot...

He forgot to mention that Man City built a 12,000 seater stadium next door for the women’s team and all the women are full time players.

Manchester United bought there women’s team a 12,000 seater stadium which is stunning.

Then you look down and you will find many League clubs opened their doors to the women’s teams even city once.

Are Exeter City really a family club If they don’t let women play at SJP or give young girls that dream of playing there.
I sense that this thread is all turning a bit 'strawman'.

Last edited:

Temporarily Exiled

Danny. Does the club or Trust contribute towards any of the Women's team's costs?
The Trust have sponsored the women's team I believe.

On the topic of playing at SJP, my understanding is that the pitch couldn't handle it. Unless the club spends about £1m upgrading the pitch (which would be good for about 10 years), or the EFL allow artificial pitches, then SJP isn't really a practical option. To my mind, the priority for now should be moving the team back to Exeter and potentially installing a stand at the pitch the youth teams often play on at Cliff Hill. Make it an attractive proposition for fans to come and watch, do more to publicise fixtures and results. The club could make some very small changes, such as announcing fixtures and results for the women's side (and the scorers) when the men's side are playing at home. Increase familiarity - right now it feels like a bolt-on rather than a true part of the club.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Trust have sponsored the women's team I believe.

On the topic of playing at SJP, my understanding is that the pitch couldn't handle it. Unless the club spends about £1m upgrading the pitch (which would be good for about 10 years), or the EFL allow artificial pitches, then SJP isn't really a practical option. To my mind, the priority for now should be moving the team back to Exeter and potentially installing a stand at the pitch the youth teams often play on at Cliff Hill. Make it an attractive proposition for fans to come and watch, do more to publicise fixtures and results. The club could make some very small changes, such as announcing fixtures and results for the women's side (and the scorers) when the men's side are playing at home. Increase familiarity - right now it feels like a bolt-on rather than a true part of the club.
That all sounds fair to me.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster

You forgot to mention that man city built that stadium for all their youth teams. It wasn't built exclusively for the women.

Manchester united play at leigh which is primarily a rugby league stadium. Their youth and women play there, it wasn't bought for them and is hardly what i call stunning.

Chelsea use afc wimbledons ground, they didn't buy it for them.

No idea about arsenal and last time i checked prenton park wasn't anfield.

Even if they did play their games at SJP they'd be lucky to get crowds of 100, so not really financially viable. They played at topsham for a few years and they got about 50-100 at most for home games. As someone has already mentioned, make playing at the cliff hill more accessible and play the odd game at SJP for the bigger teams.

SGF

Last edited: