• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
You are a great example why so many fans avoid Exeweb
Well Dannyboy, don't let me detain you, just pootle off and join them !;)

Antony Moxey

No I object to the fact it’s ok for the u18s but not for the women’s. Sounds rather sexist from the club and lacking in equality.

I think the club are losing out on Not allowing them to rightly play at SJP.
Genuine question: how are the club losing out?

Andy Holloway

No I object to the fact it’s ok for the u18s but not for the women’s. Sounds rather sexist from the club and lacking in equality.

I think the club are losing out on Not allowing them to rightly play at SJP.
Do you actually know just how much it costs to stage a game at SJP, before even one fans sets foot inside the ground?

I can tell you that it's considerably more than we would receive from the admissions money with the current level of crowds for an ECFC Women's game. I some times go to the games when they are played at Cullompton, and if there are 50 in the crowd that would be being generous, friends and family excepted.

Temporarily Exiled

Nothing. I have no interest and no desire to want to find out more. I'm only interested in watching the men's first team.
Hypothetically, if we made it to the top tier of women's football - fully professional with full internationals in our side - would you be interested in supporting Exeter City then?

I see that the Exeter Woman's thread has been closed. Why not rename this thread as Woman's football and move it from WOWS.
Because this has for the most part been a thread about the women's team. It's just the off-season giving people nothing else to discuss on that front so it goes off-topic.

Saint James

Yes women’s football is getting very popular so I suggest you keep your tv & radio switched off in case it upsets you.
How do you define popular? Given the BBC's obsession with gender equality in sports broadcasting I would have expected the Women's Super League to be packing them in. The evidence shows that on the whole its still pretty much family and friends watching. In FA WSL 1, the average attendance was 1,128 – up five per cent on 2015 (1,076). A new league record for home ground attendance was set in September when 4,096 supporters watched Manchester City secure the title against Chelsea at the Academy Stadium. Now if a measly 4,000 can be bothered to watch a title winning game it hardly smacks of some kind of football equality does it? When I hear women footballers using the equality card in saying they should be paid the same as men I say fair enough. When you start equalling the attendances of the Premier League you will have EARNT it. In WSL League 2 the average was a whopping 443. Like Mr Moxey I have no interest in women's football, Women's Rugby or Women's cricket. The games are just too slow and pedestrian.

Temporarily Exiled

How do you define popular? Given the BBC's obsession with gender equality in sports broadcasting [...]
When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Last edited:

LOG

You are a great example why so many fans avoid Exeweb
It always used be that this baseless assertion was made because Exeweb was supposedly full of unjustified negativity and constant digs at the club and Trust. You know, things like...

We keep investing money into things we don’t own.
...what a joke the club is with dealing with people wanting to offer help.
So explain how Torquay get NIKE kits, are they a bigger club than us, Argyle get Puma but we are not in a position to change, something is messed up.
I don’t think the trust can take us any further.
The trust have no ambition to move us forward
I think the club needs to be put up for sale as the trust cannot take it to an higher level.
At least we've moved on from that...

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do you actually know just how much it costs to stage a game at SJP, before even one fans sets foot inside the ground?

I can tell you that it's considerably more than we would receive from the admissions money with the current level of crowds for an ECFC Women's game. I some times go to the games when they are played at Cullompton, and if there are 50 in the crowd that would be being generous, friends and family excepted.
Thanks Andy, that’s exactly the point I was trying to get at.

Antony Moxey

Hypothetically, if we made it to the top tier of women's football - fully professional with full internationals in our side - would you be interested in supporting Exeter City.
No. I’ve already told you, I have no interest in women’s football.

StroudGrecian

Little doubt in my mind that if our women's team played home matches at SJP they would attract considerably more fans than playing at Cullompton, though at present unlikely to be a 'break-even' amount.

The point is that making our women's first team play at a a different (i.e. smaller and less prestigious) venue to the men's first team smacks of discrimination, and even if it can be 'justified' financially that doesn't really sit very comfortably with me.

Also, each to their own and all that, but I really enjoy watching women's football - what it may sometimes lack in terms of pace and power (only really compared to top flight men's football) it more than makes up for in its general absence of games(wo)manship and thuggery. I for one am far more interested in the upcoming Women's (Football) World Cup than I am in the just-underway Men's (Cricket) World Cup - Stokes' 'worldie' catches included.