• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

express and echo

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think they are interested in the truth. It's quite funny how he bangs on about exeweb not being representative of the fanbase but the number commenting on the e & e comments are probably in single figures but he thinks that is representative. If you don't like exeweb I would say either start your own forum, ignore it or try to constructively do something about it.
The suggestion that Exeweb is not representative of general feelings amongst supporters is fanciful in the extreme. It is put forward by self serving "diehards" who have little or no interest in see things change in any way. Why would it not be representative, and how likely is it that the views expounded on the Express and Error site is even close to being "as representative." ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The suggestion that Exeweb is not representative of general feelings amongst supporters is fanciful in the extreme. It is put forward by self serving "diehards" who have little or no interest in see things change in any way. Why would it not be representative, and how likely is it that the views expounded on the Express and Error site is even close to being "as representative." ?
Exeweb cannot be representative of around 10,000 people who follow ECFC, and I'm sure it wouldn't claim for one minute that it is. It cannot even be representative of the maybe 100 or so fans who post regularly on it.

It is however a well-organised forum for the promulgation of opinions, debating these opinions, and dissemination of information of interest to City fans.

Nobody is "representative" of anything other than their own opinion. In my opinion.:D

IndoMike

Exeweb cannot be representative of around 10,000 people who follow ECFC, and I'm sure it wouldn't claim for one minute that it is. It cannot even be representative of the maybe 100 or so fans who post regularly on it.

It is however a well-organised forum for the promulgation of opinions, debating these opinions, and dissemination of information of interest to City fans.

Nobody is "representative" of anything other than their own opinion. In my opinion.:D
Nevertheless, opinion polls on major issues based on random selection are often conducted. You wouldn't need to ask 10,000 City fans their opinion to get a representative view, would you?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... around 10,000 people who follow ECFC, ...
I believe that may prove to be a very low estimate.

Fareham Grecian

Nevertheless, opinion polls on major issues based on random selection are often conducted. You wouldn't need to ask 10,000 City fans their opinion to get a representative view, would you?
True. But you'd need approaching 1,000, and most importantly you'd need to ensure that they were representative of the others. That's what random selection means. A self-selected sample like Exeweb or the E&E comments section is very unlikely to be representative of anything but a vocal minority.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I think if you compared now to five years ago you would see a difference, so it does have some relevance on what is happening at the club. Because posters here are unhappy it doesn't mean everyone feels that way but it also doesn't mean everyone not on exeweb is happy. If for instance we win ten or more home games next season I think you would see a happier forum, the idea that people posting here want to see the team struggling is ludicrous imo.

Re the echo comments another gem is that exeweb is full of people who don't go to matches. A few posters don't go due to living in other countries and some have chosen to stay away due to poor results, but if you looked at the figures I am sure the majority posting go to games.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe that may prove to be a very low estimate.
Possibly a bit on the low side, but how many do you think there are, then, Rae? I mean really follow the team, rather than just have a passing interest in our doings? I don't think the numbers who went to Wembley 8 years ago are a guide...

Alistair20000

Possibly a bit on the low side, but how many do you think there are, then, Rae? I mean really follow the team, rather than just have a passing interest in our doings? I don't think the numbers who went to Wembley 8 years ago are a guide...
Having put the question to Rae are you going to proffer a figure JW ?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
You appear to be really narrowing down your understanding of 'following' there, John. By 'following' I'm talking about those who have more than a passing interest in ECFC and would happily put money into the club coffers on a steady basis via merchandise sales etc. I can't give you an exact number but I would comfortably expect to double your figure and still be found wanting.

Last edited:

Red Devon

If for instance we win ten or more home games next season I think you would see a happier forum, the idea that people posting here want to see the team struggling is ludicrous imo.
You are very generous with just ten home wins

A home record of 13 wins 5 draws and 5 defeats would be nothing special.....and still leave us needing 25 points or more for the play offs