• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Falcons 2 fly again

ECFC69

Brian,in the WMN on tuesday Nigel Walrond wrote that ALLEN

Last edited:

ECFC69

Sorry about that Brian,it should have said that Allen Trump is looking at race nights being on a tuesday,do you think that will have any impact on the gates at ECFC?

Brian Moore

Sorry about that Brian,it should have said that Allen Trump is looking at race nights being on a tuesday,do you think that will have any impact on the gates at ECFC?
Dont think so, wont be many clashes due to speedway being in the summer and footy in t'winter. He put it to a vote at the meeting, either Sunday or Tuesdays to avoid the speedway on Sky on Mondays - to be honest i dont think the crowd would be affected by that anyway - i reckon he was pressing for Sundays to avoid having to put floodlights up!
I reckon a 3,000 capacity is fine, cant see more than 1200 at most meetings, i think the last year at the CG it averaged around 800.
Rumour has it the bulldozers are moving in this week - bring it on!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You obviously did not attend many matches as they often got crowds of around 3,000 and in the days of Mauger and Autrey 5,000+
Right. So because 30-40 years ago they got 5k crowds, then it follows that they'll get that now. The Falcons haven't 'often' seen a 3k crowd for the fat end of 20 years, so a 3k capacity at the moment is more than adequate.

And yes, I did used to go quite a bit.

Brian Moore

There was apparently "3000" at the last meeting at the CG!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
That I can well believe Brian, but in the final few years those sorts of crowds were few and far between. It's like us building a new ground with a 20k capacity because that's how many saw us play Sunderland in the 30s at the Park.

Brian Moore

The "3000" was the biggest con since John Russell. There were easily 7,000 there - which would equate to about 3 years total attendance!

The only way the Falcons will get 3,000 crowds now (apart from the first meeting natch) will be if the end up with a major meeting like the PL pairs or riders championship but even then it would be a stryuggle. Like i said, 3,000 is fine - in fact 1,000 would be fine as long as we get the Falcons back.

4ORDY

So assuming we are in The Premier league next season, who would you like to see in the Falcons team ???

Brian Moore

Bomber, Nikki Pedersen, Jason Crump, Tomas Gollob.... but realistically i would think Mark Lemon & Brent Werner (yikes!) will probably be there along with (hopefully) Ben Barker. I wouldnt mind seeing Ulrich Ostergaard and perhaps Travis McGowan too along with Adam Roynan, Jordan Frampton and Nikki Glanz. Unfortunatley i think there averages would be way too high!
Im sure some old faces such as Lee Smethills and Nick Simmons may be interested and hopefully even older ones like Semmond Stephens, Mark Simmons & Jason Prynne will stay in the Conference leagie!

Brian Moore

Still no work started up at Haldon - missed out on three good weeks of weather already.