• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourite Exeter pubs - past or present

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Had some great nights in Exeter pubs, depends on who I'm with and how I'm feeling really, certainly had fun in the Red Cow, went drinking there once and woke up in Wolverhampton! Ropemakers was good after a good win, got thrown out of the Cowley Bridge once for dropping stink bombs! Was banned from quite a few pubs on the quay as well but those would have been gig nights when I tended to get totally fu cked. Tony Kellows pubs The Eagle and The Clifton Inn were good for a great laugh and City related banter. The Double Locks was probably the first pb I ever went into, we used to camp in the garden, remember one landlord (or was it his wife) drowned after driving his/her car into the canal!

These days my pubs are chosen for their beer mainly, quite like the Bowling Green before a match and love to drop into the Great Western for the old fashioned ambience of a comfortable pub with transient visitors and a fantastic range of real ales.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Must have been a little something extra added to the beer in the Red Cow went in there for an afternoon couple of beers and ended up at Reading Rock !

STURTZ

Must have been a little something extra added to the beer in the Red Cow went in there for an afternoon couple of beers and ended up at Reading Rock !
It was too close to St Davids I suppose!

edindevon

Double Locks - unbeatable on a sunny Bank Holiday.
New Vic in Queen St - spent far, far too much time in there when I was doing my A levels.
The Old Firehouse - before it got too popular

Oldsmobile-88

Cliff Sparks & his daughter Jackie ran the pub for many years...On one memorable occasion after work myself & 3 work colleagues got through two crates of Holstein Pils(48 bottles) !!..The vans were sensibly left in the BR car park after that little session-It was a Friday thank goodness.

It was quite common to see railway drivers & guards pop in for a couple before their evening shift started...A different world back then.

STURTZ

Saw Cliff Sparkes rooting about under the bar one evening using his lighter for illumination,I asked him what he was doing he said he thought he could smell gas.

angelic upstart

Never had a local in Exeter, but in my more wild and reckless years I would frequent Vines and the mint almost weekly. More recently I go to the bowling green with Exeweb Legend Scaramanga mainly in order to try and bump into Sturtz.

elginCity

Friday night at Ernie's watering hole; The Royal Oak, Oke St.

Saturday night Merry Monk Tavern, latterly Barts Tavern.

Sunday lunchtime euchre at ye olde Bridge Inn, Ide. (Twisted Oak these days).

Oldsmobile-88

Friday night at Ernie's watering hole; The Royal Oak, Oke St.

Saturday night Merry Monk Tavern, latterly Barts Tavern.

Sunday lunchtime euchre at ye olde Bridge Inn, Ide. (Twisted Oak these days).
A snapshot of my pub life many years ago.

The Royal Oak in Okehampton St when Angie ‘big top’ was landlady(RIP)

The Merry Monk,I had my Wedding Reception upstairs in there..A great Darts & Skittles pub back then(mid 1980s)

The Bridge Inn(Ide) was a regular lunchtime place for a couple of pints when such activities were not frowned upon in the working week(1980s)

Oldsmobile-88

Downstairs in the Bystock Hotel - 'back in the day'.
Least favourites:

The Ship - dingy and full of *******.
The Stocks Bar was excellent.

The Ship stinks of pi55...They should allow smoking in there do disguise the smell.