• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourte Biscuit...

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surely the acoustics could be a bit weird ?
Early reports from the HMHB gig suggest that it sounded amazing.

For the record, the worst acoustics I ever encountered were at Knebworth Park. A 'natural amphitheatre' i.e. the bass notes were echoing off the landscape behind you making everything a sickening mess.

Medium to large rooms have always sounded best to me, Bristol's SWX, Bournemouth International, London's Village Underground and Exeter's own Great Hall have all impressed. Gutted that I missed Laura Marling in Exeter Cathedral... I bet that sounded amazing.

Colesman Ballz

For the record, the worst acoustics I ever encountered were at Knebworth Park. A 'natural amphitheatre' i.e. the bass notes were echoing off the landscape behind you making everything a sickening mess.

Medium to large rooms have always sounded best to me, Bristol's SWX, Bournemouth International, London's Village Underground and Exeter's own Great Hall have all impressed. Gutted that I missed Laura Marling in Exeter Cathedral... I bet that sounded amazing.
I was likewise gutted to find out about Laura's gig only after it had sold out. I seriously thought about hiring some suitable ecclesiastical "duds" to try and blag my way in ! Back in the 70's there were a series of Sunday evening shows in St Pauls Cathedral, and I went along to one featuring Amazing Blondell, although I "swerved" the final one featuring Cliff ! My old favourite Martin Stephenson recorded a double cd in Lincoln Cathedral, it wasn't a gig just a project he arranged with verger I think, whereby he just wandered around for a couple of hours, playing as he went, and interacting with surprised visitors along the way. Would love to have been there too.

Maybe we should start a new thread for best, worst or unusual gigs attended ?

Colesman Ballz

The caves in Cornwall, are Carnglaze Caverns, St Neots, Nr Liskeard. A large cave known as The Rum Store is still regularly holding gigs, with a capacity c.400/

StroudGrecian

The acoustics in the Great Hall used to be dreadful - I think the Orb was the worst some 20 years ago. Maybe they're done something about it.

Both the Royal Festival Hall and the Royal Albert Hall take some beating, but my fave has to be the Bridgewater in Manchester - amazing sound.

arthur

Both the Royal Festival Hall and the Royal Albert Hall take some beating, but my fave has to be the Bridgewater in Manchester - amazing sound.
Birmingham Symphony Hall takes some beating

Swanaldo

Oh let me gaze upon your curves
Instead of Ipswich Town reserves
Swerving the Checkatrade with you

Radio Free Skaro

I was wandering through my local store
Searching for the ten-pence-off manure
When suddenly I bumped in to this guy
On seeing it was I gave a cry

F*CKIN' 'ELL IT'S FRED TITMUS

PS this may change after I've listened to my newly purchased copy of Achtung Bono
Surely it's 10 pence off Lenor!

iscalad

My new favourite biscuit is LUI petite beurre.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The caves in Cornwall, are Carnglaze Caverns, St Neots, Nr Liskeard. A large cave known as The Rum Store is still regularly holding gigs, with a capacity c.400/
Watched a Pink Floyd tribute act in there last Friday. Acoustics were fine but the cave roof was dripping like mad, warm air and cold rocks, the band had to go off after the first number as water got into one of the guitars!

Bridgy 81

Watched a Pink Floyd tribute act in there last Friday. Acoustics were fine but the cave roof was dripping like mad, warm air and cold rocks, the band had to go off after the first number as water got into one of the guitars!
On the subject of weather related show interruptions, I went to see The XX on the roof of a Las Vegas hotel a few years ago.
After two songs the heavens opened and the gig was cancelled.
Odd weather as we were essentially in a desert.