• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football League fixture machine

bsmaff

The BBC a couple of years ago did a brilliant write up on the guy who does the fixture list.
I finally managed to find it again if people want to have a read, who didn't when it was first around.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html

plain capers

Thanks for that bsmaff.
I liked one of the comments posted later where someone said, that he thought it was just random. Well I still think that for our division it is still exactly that. Well not totally, but you know what I mean. Even the so called local considerations, where we have the short hop (65 miles) to Bournemouth on a Tuesday evening mitigates against away fans travel, reducing the attendance and there by much needed income for the home club.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The BBC a couple of years ago did a brilliant write up on the guy who does the fixture list.
I finally managed to find it again if people want to have a read, who didn't when it was first around.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html
Interesting reread..looks like some things have changed this year as the article refers to 28th being manually adjusted to avoid travel and the last game not being sensitive ...both of which happened this year..

Quite frankly the linkages sound ridiculous at times...we share stewards? Well don't ...

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
TThe 'old bill' are not keen on that & they do have a input into fixture planning these days(FL)..
Really? D&C's finest c*cked up then by allowing City's last home game of the season to be against the Muff.

crocks

Really? D&C's finest c*cked up then by allowing City's last home game of the season to be against the Muff.
And from that article....

"These might include issues such as potentially sensitive fixtures being played on the opening or final weekends of the season and derby fixtures taking place in midweek".

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not so much allowing, more than likely they just didn't say a word about it. D&C's 'Intelligence' is something they are not.

Oldsmobile-88

Easier to police on a Saturday,than a Bank Holiday,where there are issues with resorces available & of course the bill to the home club with it being 'double bubble' on a BH...

t.a.f.k.a.g.g.

I reckon the scheduling of Arg*le on 30th April was for a lucrative live TV deal, if the game turns out to be vital to both teams.

The FL are more clever than they appear. They just simply don't care that Dec 28th was a complete joke!