• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary Caldwell Apraisal

dontpassback

shrewd transfer deals,and meticulous planning,what more can you ask for,a very good appointment,and well done the board for giving him the job,there is a togetherness about this club,which bodes well

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Top marks for a top man and manager. There is something intangible about GC and how he goes about his work that, for me, makes him different from previous managers in recent times. His enthusiasm and professionalism seems to permeate through the squad. What is there not to like?

lamrobhero

I had my doubts. I feared that he could "talk the talk" but not "walk the walk". These doubts were misplaced. He is authentic and a significant departure from what we have had before. It is now a question of strapping in and seeing where the ride will take us.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't overly enthusiastic about his appointment but he's definitely proved me wrong. He's got us playing some great football and has made his own stamp on the team with some very good signings. It was always going to be difficult following on from a very popular manager but he's done a great job so far. Long may it continue.

Grecian Max

I had my doubts. I feared that he could "talk the talk" but not "walk the walk". These doubts were misplaced. He is authentic and a significant departure from what we have had before. It is now a question of strapping in and seeing where the ride will take us.
Authentic is a great way of putting it (y)

Lots of "Caldwell's a fraud" early days on Twitter

tavyred

I think it helps that GC has nothing to prove to anyone (at our level anyway) on the playing side of the game, that means he can demand a modicum of respect before he even starts talking and in comparison to Tisdale it means we’re spared a thin-skinned manager apt to spout absolute drivel at regular intervals.
I think it also helps that this being the sort of club it is, he’s got the time and space at City to do things properly.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the majority of fans were slightly concerned when we appointed him, the reviews from fans of previous clubs were pretty bad and whilst we get used to ignoring the opinions of other fans, it was slightly concerning. We are used to internal appointments and having managers for a long time, this felt like a big step and a potential risky one.

On this basis, he was always on the back foot with the fan base. Any bad performance or loss and the crowd were against him and it felt like throughout last season fans really had doubts over him. I remember when we lost at Cheltenham a few fans were shouting at him after the game calling for him to go - stupid, I know. I include myself as one of the doubters I suppose. I didn't want him out, but I certainly wasn't sold and needed to be convinced that he was the man.

He had a difficult summer, basically having to build a side from scratch and 6 games in (only 6, it's a long season), it appears he's done a great job. I've not heard one negative comment about him, the Big Bank are singing his name, his signings are quality and the football is the best I've seen at SJP in my lifetime.

I'm now massively pro Caldwell. I like the way he conducts himself in the media, I like the way he gets involved in the community, he buys into the club values and really seems to know what he's doing.

Bridgy 81

I like Gary and I think he’s done very well for us and don’t see any reason why that shouldn’t continue.
I think he has tactical acumen, what would appear to be good coaching and communication skills and an impressive network of contacts throughout the game (which he’s utilized so far for us to very good effect).
I also like the way he seems to have understood and embraced our club’s ethos.
However, what I like best is that he has the edge to him of a hard nosed football professional.
We operate in a tough and murky business and we need someone who understands that and has the knowledge, experience and character to lead us.
In the past we’ve perhaps been a bit too demure.
We’re in League One on merit and have as much right as anyone else to be there and to try and progress further.
I think in Gary we have the best person for us at this time to do that.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the majority of fans were slightly concerned when we appointed him, the reviews from fans of previous clubs were pretty bad and whilst we get used to ignoring the opinions of other fans, it was slightly concerning. We are used to internal appointments and having managers for a long time, this felt like a big step and a potential risky one.

On this basis, he was always on the back foot with the fan base. Any bad performance or loss and the crowd were against him and it felt like throughout last season fans really had doubts over him. I remember when we lost at Cheltenham a few fans were shouting at him after the game calling for him to go - stupid, I know. I include myself as one of the doubters I suppose. I didn't want him out, but I certainly wasn't sold and needed to be convinced that he was the man.

He had a difficult summer, basically having to build a side from scratch and 6 games in (only 6, it's a long season), it appears he's done a great job. I've not heard one negative comment about him, the Big Bank are singing his name, his signings are quality and the football is the best I've seen at SJP in my lifetime.

I'm now massively pro Caldwell. I like the way he conducts himself in the media, I like the way he gets involved in the community, he buys into the club values and really seems to know what he's doing.
I do not think it is unfair why many, including myself had serious doubts. His performance from Nov to end of Feb wasn't good, All I saw was poor team selections, players way out of position and largely not great results or performances by the large. We tactically tweaked it in March and got results and looked better for it (Including playing players in their best positions). He seems to have shown since March that he can learn from his mistakes. Even The media lads where giving GC a hard time in that period of February and really did seem to be ramping up the questioning to him. As long as outside a mass injury crisis we don't see Kite Return to RWB, then I think we can sleep easy.

Now since March, Things seemed to have settled and the thing out of last season which impressed me most was his dealing with the JB situation. I have written previously, but he really did impress me with the JB Situation.

Over the summer, Whilst we are still 2 short imho in the side (One more striker is really needed imho asap) , the first 11-14 of this side really do look as good as any side we have played so far. Whilst it is really early doors and the situation can change quickly, to this point since he has essentially made the side his own, we do look exceptional thus far this season. Long may that continue.

Happy to be proven wrong. Well done Gary (Barry), You have proved the doubters wrong including myself and I apologies for wanting you fired back in Dec / Jan. I was wrong and I am Enjoying being proven wrong

(Now Gary, DO NOT LOSE THE NEXT 10 GAMES IN A ROW!!!!) :ROFLMAO: I don't want to be having words again

Grecian Max, Our bet was for the end of the season, but I am happy to purchase you a pint either on Sat 16th V Cheltenham or Sat 30th vs Northampton or Vs Luton on 26th. If we get relegated with this side, then you can owe me two pints end of the season, but with the way prices are going up, I best get the pint out of the way

Last edited:

arthur

It was always going to be difficult following on from a very popular manager
Popular with the fans didn't matter so much (fans can be won round fairly quickly with a win or two), but getting the trust and commitment from the players at the same time as making it clear he wanted to play a different kind of football would have been a real challenge. It's testament to his ability that he got this commitment in a remarkably short time..