• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Kite

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Realistically I need to pause any discussion with you until at least 2/3 months into next season as it's clear you're going down the patience line until the end of this season

No matter how abject we are (not necessarily today btw), it's part of the process, part of the journey to football nirvana

I don't believe it for a second and doubt we will see improvement next year, but lets pick this up in October

I do wonder what you'd say if we went down... I suspect the "Rebuild for League 2" patter will then come out
Eh? I was just making a general point about managers adapting to players (understandable when they take over mid season) or managers imposing their style over the players. Any manager, given time and opportunity (transfer window and pre season) will look to impose their plans and styles. I just used three manager's we might be familiar with as examples, Emery as he had already been mentioned in this thread and Edwards as we saw his FGR team and now at Luton.

Is this reading too much into a post, being triggered by mention of the dreaded GC or guilt by association as I can't choose my family members? Anyhow, I am sure it will be nice to talk again in about 9 months 😂

Grecian Max

Eh? I was just making a general point about managers adapting to players (understandable when they take over mid season) or managers imposing their style over the players. Any manager, given time and opportunity (transfer window and pre season) will look to impose their plans and styles. I just used three manager's we might be familiar with as examples, Emery as he had already been mentioned in this thread and Edwards as we saw his FGR team and now at Luton.

Is this reading too much into a post, being triggered by mention of the dreaded GC or guilt by association as I can't choose my family members? Anyhow, I am sure it will be nice to talk again in about 9 months 😂
Nah, it’s just summarising your posts from the last few weeks, we get it you think this process has a positive end point

Inevitably the goalposts will continue to be moved, there’s always some sort of excuse with GC

“Dreaded GC”… I don’t hate the guy I just objectively look at what he’s doing and think it’s not all that. Yes, objectively. I have no reason to bear a grudge against the guy, I speak on what I’ve been seeing this season.

The word philosophy is trotted out so much it makes me sick ;)

See you in October

I think a manager adapting to the players he has is fine if that manager comes in mid season. He can only work with what he has. When the manager has a pre season and transfer windows to work with, then he moulds the players to his style and philosophy.

Even then, to take Unai Emery as the example, he had a look at what he had that would work for him and implemented the change to his style as last season went on. This season is very much a Unai Emery side and signings such as Pau Torres, Lenglet and Tielemanns are very much the type of player he wants to implement his style.

That was what Caldwell had last season. He did start to implement his ideas on the squad last season. The main difference being that over the summer, Emery had a stability within the squad where he could just add to it. We lost a hell of a lot of very good players and practically had to start again.

I feel a better example of a manager adapting to circumstances would probably be Rob Edwards at Luton. But even then you can see his ways coming in to the Luton side with the likes of Ross Barkley pulling strings in midfield. They play more good football than they tend to be given credit for because of their very good set piece record.
I think you’re wrong completely. We had Stanno, Nombe and JB In the form of his life. GC didn’t need to stamp any of his own ideas on that forward line for a start. We had Archie and Josh Key last season, Caldwell got lucky last season. Now he’s built a team that is afraid to even have a shot on goal, you can talk about implementing styles until the cows come home..,.let’s looks at how many goals we score?

Nah, it’s just summarising your posts from the last few weeks, we get it you think this process has a positive end point

Inevitably the goalposts will continue to be moved, there’s always some sort of excuse with GC

“Dreaded GC”… I don’t hate the guy I just objectively look at what he’s doing and think it’s not all that. Yes, objectively. I have no reason to bear a grudge against the guy, I speak on what I’ve been seeing this season.

See you in October
He’s good at interviews. A lot of our fans just believe what’s he saying. Reverse it back to when he took over, none of the crap he comes out with never actually happens. It’s always “we've got to be better” we never are.

Rosencrantz

See you in October
I have actually never said whether I think this process will have a positive or negative end point, just that I can see what is being attempted. I have opined occasionally on what still needs to happen if it was to work. Conversely, if those things don't happen then it won't. If that qualifies as excuses for you then you're free to read into posts what you will rather than what is actually being written, something you like to say of others when replying to yourself at times.

I just have an interest of how football works in all of its diverse forms of tactics, formations and philosophies (sorry, someone get a bucket 😉). Whether that is a fascination of how Pep pretty much brought back the WM formation or Klopp's high octane press both of which takes some things which are similar to certain tactics employed by Wimbledon in their rise under Dave Bassett albeit with a bit more panache and critical acclaim.

Because football is like that, there are many ways of playing it both successfully and unsuccessfully. Some supporters like different styles, some like only winning styles, some like the minutiae and some just the banter. Not everyone has to be with you or against you. I'm not sure why you want to project into some kind of one-upmanship. I have other family members that can do that 😉.

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

I think you’re wrong completely. We had Stanno, Nombe and JB In the form of his life. GC didn’t need to stamp any of his own ideas on that forward line for a start. We had Archie and Josh Key last season, Caldwell got lucky last season. Now he’s built a team that is afraid to even have a shot on goal, you can talk about implementing styles until the cows come home..,.let’s looks at how many goals we score?
I never said that he needed to, just that he did. I remember saying last season that my fear was that he was trying to change too much, too soon. Again as mentioned before, I was commenting on the conversation in general on managers adapting to players or imposing their own styles and the timing of when I thought either were suitable.

crocks

Thought Harry was decent on Saturday. Would like to see him have a good run at centre mid.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would be a shame if we don't see Kite again having come through the ranks and being a local lad.

Bridgy 81

It would be a shame if we don't see Kite again having come through the ranks and being a local lad.
I agree.
I’m not big on sentimentality in professional football but I think if he is leaving some on pitch involvement for him in the Oxford match would be justified.

Alistair20000

I agree.
I’m not big on sentimentality in professional football but I think if he is leaving some on pitch involvement for him in the Oxford match would be justified.
Captain for the game ?