• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Kite

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You know as well as I do you can see a different game being there and watching it on TV which is more the point I'm making.
Good point. Sometimes when you're there in person, it can seem as if City have dominated possession; it's only when you get home, watch the video footage, and check the stats, you realise this wasn't the case! ;-)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
You know as well as I do you can see a different game being there and watching it on TV which is more the point I'm making.
One constant is whether in person or on tv, the football GC is offering up is boring as f*ck

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
65-35 In Peterborough's favour possession wise atm

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is one or the other in my opinion. Despite our appalling performances this season, particularly at home, I remain convinced that we have a good squad of players who are more than good enough to be in the top half of the table. They just need a good coach. Football is littered with cases of teams that bring in a decent coach and with a squad that has been struggling, makes a few changes to the system and away they go. Villa are probably the best example of this recently in the Premiership. Gerrard was hopeless and had them heading for the Championship. In comes Emeri and look at them now. I said when he took over at Charlton that Nathan Jones would turn them around and three draws and now a win would suggest that he is doing that. He hasn't been very loyal as a manager. Luton to Stoke, then saying he made a mistake and goes back to Luton and does well again, before jumping ship to Southampton. He is clearly a good coach and assuming Charlton stay up I'm sure they will be pushing for promotion next season. Sadly I think he will have far too much tactical nous for GC come the 29th of March, although I really hope I'm wrong.
All besides my point, which is that it's neither optimal for a manager to set the tactics from what players he has, or set the tactics and shoehorn the players in. Theres a pragmatic middle ground.

Exehausted

All besides my point, which is that it's neither optimal for a manager to set the tactics from what players he has, or set the tactics and shoehorn the players in. Theres a pragmatic middle ground.
The middle ground you talk about comes from a manager who can make changes when needed that improves the team. A good manager can do this and match tactics against the opposition with the players he has, that's my point. Once again today, Gary has proved he doesn't have that ability, judging from the comments on here. A good first half but once the opposition changes things we fail once again. The subs seemed to make us worse. The one bright light seems like it was Alli looking lively. If we stay up it will be despite him not because of him. As I keep saying, we have some very good players and we should be safely in mid table. I'm sure we will win a few games and just about make it, but even a clock that's stopped is right twice a day.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The middle ground you talk about comes from a manager who can make changes when needed that improves the team. A good manager can do this and match tactics against the opposition with the players he has, that's my point. Once again today, Gary has proved he doesn't have that ability, judging from the comments on here. A good first half but once the opposition changes things we fail once again. The subs seemed to make us worse. The one bright light seems like it was Alli looking lively. If we stay up it will be despite him not because of him. As I keep saying, we have some very good players and we should be safely in mid table. I'm sure we will win a few games and just about make it, but even a clock that's stopped is right twice a day.
I'm not happy with the season, but hard to judge on this game. It's a very hard place to go and we were in it till the 100th minute. Still a defeat, but less depressing for me than a home draw Vs Fleetwood or a defeat against a (at the time) lacklustre Lincoln.

Rosencrantz

I think a manager adapting to the players he has is fine if that manager comes in mid season. He can only work with what he has. When the manager has a pre season and transfer windows to work with, then he moulds the players to his style and philosophy.

Even then, to take Unai Emery as the example, he had a look at what he had that would work for him and implemented the change to his style as last season went on. This season is very much a Unai Emery side and signings such as Pau Torres, Lenglet and Tielemanns are very much the type of player he wants to implement his style.

That was what Caldwell had last season. He did start to implement his ideas on the squad last season. The main difference being that over the summer, Emery had a stability within the squad where he could just add to it. We lost a hell of a lot of very good players and practically had to start again.

I feel a better example of a manager adapting to circumstances would probably be Rob Edwards at Luton. But even then you can see his ways coming in to the Luton side with the likes of Ross Barkley pulling strings in midfield. They play more good football than they tend to be given credit for because of their very good set piece record.

tom_ecfc

*Kite brought back in only so we would have a youth player on the pitch at all times?

(conspiracy theory)

JGrecian23

*Kite brought back in only so we would have a youth player on the pitch at all times?

(conspiracy theory)
Crossed my mind, especially as he played him in goal or wherever he played!

Grecian Max

I think a manager adapting to the players he has is fine if that manager comes in mid season. He can only work with what he has. When the manager has a pre season and transfer windows to work with, then he moulds the players to his style and philosophy.

Even then, to take Unai Emery as the example, he had a look at what he had that would work for him and implemented the change to his style as last season went on. This season is very much a Unai Emery side and signings such as Pau Torres, Lenglet and Tielemanns are very much the type of player he wants to implement his style.

That was what Caldwell had last season. He did start to implement his ideas on the squad last season. The main difference being that over the summer, Emery had a stability within the squad where he could just add to it. We lost a hell of a lot of very good players and practically had to start again.

I feel a better example of a manager adapting to circumstances would probably be Rob Edwards at Luton. But even then you can see his ways coming in to the Luton side with the likes of Ross Barkley pulling strings in midfield. They play more good football than they tend to be given credit for because of their very good set piece record.
Realistically I need to pause any discussion with you until at least 2/3 months into next season as it's clear you're going down the patience line until the end of this season

No matter how abject we are (not necessarily today btw), it's part of the process, part of the journey to football nirvana

I don't believe it for a second and doubt we will see improvement next year, but lets pick this up in October

I do wonder what you'd say if we went down... I suspect the "Rebuild for League 2" patter will then come out