• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Home Attendances and Atmosphere

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
To put it all into context, putting aside the building of the Main stand and the new big bank, almost all of the improvements at and around the club on and off the field have occurred during the (almost) 20 years of supporter control.
The previous almost 100 years achieved very little by comparison.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
To put it all into context, putting aside the building of the Main stand and the new big bank, almost all of the improvements at and around the club on and off the field have occurred during the (almost) 20 years of supporter control.
The previous almost 100 years achieved very little by comparison.
which pretty much bankrupted the club. The seeds of Rusell and Lewis were born out of building those stands

andrew p long

I get the point about Walsall but I can never understand the argument that “we are used to having to put in the miles”. A mate of mine says that to me, “you’re bound to bring more than us as you’re used to travelling” - that should make it worse, surely?

If every other week our fans have to travel hundreds of miles, spending a fortune on petrol, trains, hotels, etc why does that mean more people will travel? I get that it means the thought of spending a whole day to watch the football won’t put as many people off, but that should be applauded, not used as a reason why we should take comparatively more away from home.

Anyway, UTC.
The decent point is about fans travelling to their nearest away fixtures. So, using the Walsall example, if supporters from each club (Exeter/Walsall) decided to do their nearest 10 away games each season then the Exeter fans would go to Walsall but Walsall fans wouldn't come to SJP. (Unless of course Walsall are in a lower division than ECFC in which case neither would go to the other (!) ).
And there is also a point somewhere about our well organised London Grecians which boost City away attendances, where in some games lots of City fans travel the same distance as home fans.
Apart from that the 'more used to travelling' argument is b*******.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Consistant full attendances just mean to me that to progress further we need a new ground.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Consistant full attendances just mean to me that to progress further we need a new ground.
wash your mouth out son and go to be early how very dare you!

yticretexe

Thought the bank was much better yesterday for periods. Whole ground was buzzing in the build up to the goal and shortly after. Thought the disallowed goal flattened the atmosphere though and think we’re so nervous about conceding shit equalisers the energy was weird. Need to find a way to maintain that buzz and drag players through that last 10 minutes!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought the bank was much better yesterday for periods. Whole ground was buzzing in the build up to the goal and shortly after. Thought the disallowed goal flattened the atmosphere though and think we’re so nervous about conceding shit equalisers the energy was weird. Need to find a way to maintain that buzz and drag players through that last 10 minutes!
Pretty much spot on.

lamrobhero

From the polite applause end of the spectrum. :)
I was a bit uneasy with the clapping by the team at the start - it reminded me of Don Revie's Leeds. But I am on board now. I have always remained stood at my seat after the match to applaud the players at the end whatever the result. I appreciated Gary applauding after the Orient game. The end of game celebration is great.

Oldsmobile-88

I was a bit uneasy with the clapping by the team at the start - it reminded me of Don Revie's Leeds.
🎶 Marching on together, SJP is the only place for us 🎶😎

Grecian Max

Agreed, BB much improved. I reckon it's because of a couple of things:

- Less heat, on a sunny day the Bank can be scorching with lots of people in there as it directly hits the stand
- Smaller gate means there's a bit more space to move around which is beneficial because if you want to get to your mates in the singing bit you can with a bit of pushing and shoving. When it's sold out it's much more difficult which is why you see better atmospheres with fewer people.

Also the flags are looking great, whoever is bringing them in still, good job.