• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Exeter City purely a feeder club now?

Saint James

for our Academy?

Thinking back a few years Tis was clear in his squad building to have multiple cover throughout with there being e.g. four centre halfs and four forwards to enable a double substitution if Plan B was required. We now have a situation where we have a mere 13 senior players, 2 additional young GK's, 3 young players with less than 30 games (McAllindon, Watkins and Tilson) and the squad bulked out by 4 other kids. I haven't included Oakley or Butterfield as despite utterances that they are registered to play in an emergency clearly neither of them is considered to be fit enough to play if yesterday's emergency is anything to go by?

The squad is clearly light in numbers but worryingly the lack of foresight in critical positions is alarming. A huge over reliance on goals from Watkins which if he is sold in the next 2 weeks sees us relying on Simpson (3 last season), McAllindon (less experienced version of Simpson with one goal), Wheeler and Grant (neither of which you could argue are proven goalscorers) and Jamie Reid who Tis has so much faith in that he is on loan. At the back we have no right back and effectively just 2 centre half's one of which has been regularly crocked throughout his entire career. Therefore two injuries and we have no back four to speak of. Midfield doesn't appear any better served either with no cover in the middle whatsoever if Harley or James is unavailable.

Given this lack of depth was obvious before an injury took place it appears the resources for the first team have been cut back to the bare minimum. The question therefore is are we purely a club that develops young players and the first team is incidental? I cannot believe any manager would put together a squad with so many obvious deficiencies and should Tiz not be rushing through 3-4 new signings does it show where the club's real priorities are?

ChrisWickens

Good summary Tony and although this is very early in the season I do fear for our survival in League Two. If we do end up in the National League it will be a lengthy period before we return.

dontpassback

Squad is lightweight and the only person responsible is the manger.if he doesnt turn this around we will be in deep poo and personally while its good to see the youngsters come through,my main concern is the first team,is that the case with the management or the other way round ?

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
We need 3 players in to add some depth. If we are producing players so we can sell them in order to have new cones and bibs then we might as well pack up. With the windfalls we've had recently there should be more to show for it.

Maybe we can all go and watch the u15s on the new 3g pitch if we aren't bothered about the first team.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I'm all for local players coming through and breaking into the first team and when it's time they went and make the club money that's a job well done

If that's the sol aim for the club though to produce a player every 2-3 seasons and plod along then what's the point ?

The team on a Saturday winning games is what the average bloke on the street cares about not about how good the 3G is the cat and fiddle

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Agree we look light. Just hope the injured are back soon and that makes a difference. Think we might see a further signing but can't see more than one coming in.

Alistair20000

We need 3 players in to add some depth. If we are producing players so we can sell them in order to have new cones and bibs then we might as well pack up. With the windfalls we've had recently there should be more to show for it.

Maybe we can all go and watch the u15s on the new 3g pitch if we aren't bothered about the first team.
A well made point. Where has all that windfall money gone ?

Avening Posse

McAllindon and Sweeney certainly look useful from what i have seen so far, and i think Simpson will be okay as well, so reasonable additions, and our squad was too big last season anyway , but if Sweeney is going to be playing central defence, I don't get what the strategy is for LB and RB which forms 50% of our defence. lots go on about Riley Lowe and maybe he can become the future LB, but he won't if he isn't given a decent run, and I'm not convinced we have anybody for RB at the minute. I do think some posts on here after yesterday are a bit OTT though, we had a lot of players out, and we also missed chances......Holmes, Harley and Wheeler severely weaken the team when they are out collectively

manc grecian

JMT is meant to be first choice LB. Problem is that Troys superglue hasn't set yet so he is playing centre half leaving us with Woodman at LB. Noble and Ribs were both starters when fit and haven't been replaced. Stockley and Nichols both replaced with Aldi versions.

But as Nigel Clough said we are getting a new AstroTurf.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Aldi versions - good that.