• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fans are always impatient to get the young lads in, especially when they've shown some something and the teams looked short of imagination. There's a "he can't be any worse" feeling... sparkes has looked good in flashes, but he's also looked lost and ineffective in games... he's only 17... bit of patience. If he's got what we hope he's got, he'll force his way in.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
"How many players have we released who've gone on better than us? Frear". Still honestly don't know what he's saying. Genuinely : not being stupid.
Ok. It means how many youth players that we’ve released have gone on to play at a higher level than ours. Elliott Frear has played in the SPL, which is largely a higher level than L2. How many other youth players that we have released have since proven themselves at a higher level, ergo we were wrong to release them?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Frear was released not sold (like other youth players). Since leaving he is now playing in the SPL with Motherwell thus playing at a higher level than L2.
So he means gone on to a higher level than us. But what's the point as it refers to Sparkes?

grecIAN Harris

Frear was released not sold (like other youth players). Since leaving he is now playing in the SPL with Motherwell thus playing at a higher level than L2.
So we've got one wrong. Arsenal let Andy Cole go and eventually ended up as a multiple Premier League winner not to mention Champions League winner and England International. S4!t happens occasionally.
As for Sparkes, he will be bought on in time. Tis has rarely rushed any of the kids in to the first team. He's given them a taste every now and then until he's felt they're ready. He hasn't gone far wrong with that policy. The only player that has been treated differently is Ethan Ampadu. He's now in Chelsea's first team squad. That tells it's own story. Patience is a virtue gentlemen which very few of you seem to have.

Last edited:

LDNGrecian

So he means gone on to a higher level than us. But what's the point as it refers to Sparkes?
Tis is coming in for criticism for his lack of playing time of Sparkes, both the impact on his development and to the detriment of the team’s results.

My point I was unsuccintly making was Tis hasn’t made many mistakes with developing players in the past, so why the automatic assumption he is failing now with Sparkes? I strongly disagree with view that playing games before players are ready ‘doesn’t do any harm’. It could harm the confidence if they have multiple ineffective games in a row, they could be targeted for a clattering and get injured, or they could cost us points. I distinctly remember a goal coming from the side with Sparkes on just after the Swindon game. Even Amps didn’t play every game last season.

Also with regards to my rambly first post, Post-ciders may not be the best time to post!

IndoMike

Tis is coming in for criticism for his lack of playing time of Sparkes, both the impact on his development and to the detriment of the team’s results.

My point I was unsuccintly making was Tis hasn’t made many mistakes with developing players in the past, so why the automatic assumption he is failing now with Sparkes? I strongly disagree with view that playing games before players are ready ‘doesn’t do any harm’. It could harm the confidence if they have multiple ineffective games in a row, they could be targeted for a clattering and get injured, or they could cost us points. I distinctly remember a goal coming from the side with Sparkes on just after the Swindon game. Even Amps didn’t play every game last season.

Also with regards to my rambly first post, Post-ciders may not be the best time to post!
Ok London : thanks for rephrasing. My own view is that a player who is probably desperate to prove himself (the impatience of youth) needs to be nurtured carefully but also needs encouragement. I think selecting him now and again when we need a left-sided attacker or bringing him on for the last 15-20 minutes would help his development. Anyway, maybe we'll see him play more a bit later in the season.
Post-cider is a very good reason for rambling.

Red Bill

In your zeal to leap to Tisdale'so defence, you seem to be countering arguments that nobody has made. In my OP I said I was disappointed not to have seen more of him but admitted I wasn't expected him to be a regular starter but had at least hoped to see some sub appearances. I haven't seen anyone on this thread suggest anything else. I started this thread about Sparkes, not as a general comment on Tisdales approach to young players, only you have done that.

I don'the agree about the possible harmful effects of throwing young players in early, l think if they're that fragile the probably haven't got what it takes to make it in professional football. But I can't claim any expertise in this area so you may be right, but if they'very played half a dozen and still aren't up to it, then it up to the maker to stop putting him in the side. Watch I would say though is that Tisdale'so comments about Sparkes at the beginning of the season would suggest that he felt Sparkes was robust enough physically and mentally to cope hence I was expecting to see more of him.

Last edited:

Saint James

So we've got one wrong. Arsenal let Andy Cole go and eventually ended up as a multiple Premier League winner not to mention Champions League winner and England International. S4!t happens occasionally.
As for Sparkes, he will be bought on in time. Tis has rarely rushed any of the kids in to the first team. He's given them a taste every now and then until he's felt they're ready. He hasn't gone far wrong with that policy. The only player that has been treated differently is Ethan Ampadu. He's now in Chelsea's first team squad. That tells it's own story. Patience is a virtue gentlemen which very few of you seem to have.
I was explaining the point for IndoMike as he didn't understand the point made in LDN's post. I wasn't making a value judgement on Tiz getting the decision wrong on Frear - quite the contrary as I didn't feel at the time Frear ever looked likely to make the grade higher up the league. With 7 starts this season and only 11 last year I cant see Frear lasting much longer in the Scottish Prem

LDNGrecian

In your zeal to leap to Tisdale'so defence, you seem to be countering arguments that nobody has made. In my OP I said I was disappointed not to have seen more of him but admitted I wasn't expected him to be a regular starter but had at least hoped to see some sub appearances. I haven't seen anyone on this thread suggest anything else. I started this thread about Sparkes, not as a general comment on Tisdales approach to young players, only you have done that.

I don'the agree about the possible harmful effects of throwing young players in early, l think if they're that fragile the probably haven't got what it takes to make it in professional football. But I can't claim any expertise in this area so you may be right, but if they'very played half a dozen and still aren't up to it, then it up to the maker to stop putting him in the side. Watch I would say though is that Tisdale'so comments about Sparkes at the beginning of the season would suggest that he felt Sparkes was robust enough physically and mentally to cope hence I was expecting to see more of him.
There was no specific point arguing against, just several posters saying that they disagreed with the current situation. I’m not arguing hat this is the best, I was making the point that based on history, we should have every confidence in Tis. No matter what you think of his post match interviews or tactical choices, one thing he almost always does is nurture players well.

That being said I would say Jamie Reid could be an example of expecting too much too soon. Am I right in saying he was given a 3 year deal at the beginning of the 15/16 season? Matt Jay has been shown a lot of patience and maybe we’ll see his time this season.

Last edited:
so many teams got a couple of little fellers playing midfield, little workhorses they are, high-powered engines for 90 minutes and no lack of skills either - I think Matt Jay would be a good alternative/addition up front, he's pretty quick and 7'6" centrebacks won't know where the heck he is until they receive a head-but in the knacks ..........I reckon he'd be good for quite a few penalties too................dare to be different.