• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Only for a month, which suggests he's still in Matt Taylor's plans?
Does anyone really think he will make it? Haven't seen anything that suggests he's got enough, but he's young

Matt Russell

If he's on the doorstep, why would he open the window? Easier to open the door...
Loving that humour. As others insist on saying on another thread "Clap, clap from me!"

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale wouldn't play him when he had him so I doubt he'll want him.

I've not seen enough of Sparkes to comment but I was hoping he'd have broken through by now.

andrew p long

He turned 18 last month....

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Does anyone really think he will make it? Haven't seen anything that suggests he's got enough, but he's young
Give the poor lad a chance - he is still a couple of years younger than Storey and Watkins were when they established themselves as first-team regulars. Being given a professional contract early and nearly scoring against Swindon have perhaps raised expectations unrealistically but he has still has time on his side. The problem at the moment is that he is seen as too good to benefit from playing for the under-18's but not quite good enough yet for the first team, or we wouldn't have signed Ogbene. Hopefully a month of men's football will do him good as he is only an injury or two away from breaking into the first-team squad.

IndoMike

I agree with your post. IIRC Tagg mentioned him as the possible next big thing, and I think he was expected to break into the first team soon and shine. But if he's just 18 think we can still give him a year to toughen up and be ready.

fred binneys head

My mate is head scout at a championship club. He knows about Jack and has him on his radar.

andrew p long

Shame that he went out on loan just before we only had two attacking options on the bench in Jay and Abrahams, due to injuries to Holmes Boateng and Ogbene. Might have been the third sub when we needed goals and brought on Woodman (presumably to enable a rejig) instead

manc grecian

Worth recalling?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shame that he went out on loan just before we only had two attacking options on the bench in Jay and Abrahams, due to injuries to Holmes Boateng and Ogbene. Might have been the third sub when we needed goals and brought on Woodman (presumably to enable a rejig) instead
We also had Archie Collins on the bench and, although I haven't seen much of him, he is supposed to be fairly attacking player. I'd have thought that yesterday would have been a good chance to give him a 20 minute run-out to get some experience as we were almost certainly going to lose anyway.

Going back to Jack Sparkes the really frustrating thing is that at the moment the kid who has only played 30 minutes of league football and only just turned 18 almost looks like a better bet for the first team than the experienced guy who has played well over 100 games in the championship.