• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Agreed , Gladiator score is my personal favourite.
We watched a documentary about him last week and the wife was very disappointed that the score from Gladiator was not included. I think the BBC are screening a documentary about him this week. Definitely worth a watch I suggest.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Will look out for it.

Bridgy 81

We’re still in Derby!
After a very pleasant morning drive over to Sudbury Hall (National Trust) we returned to the city this afternoon and went to the cinema to watch Don’t Worry Darling.
It’s a psychological thriller starring Florence Pugh, Harry Styles and Chris Pine.
Set in an apparently idyllic company town in America in the 1950s some strange things soon start happening.
Nicely filmed with an interesting twist.
A bit too long for me (2 hours) but different and enjoyable.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Went to the cinema last Friday to see The Banshees of Inishern. I thought this was going to be an Irish comedy about two friends falling out. While there was plenty of comedy it did turn very dark 😮

Excellent performances from the two protagonists, Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. 7/10.

If there is an Oscar category for best supporting eyebrows then those belonging to Farrell deserve to win it 😄

DB9

Went to the cinema last Friday to see The Banshees of Inishern. I thought this was going to be an Irish comedy about two friends falling out. While there was plenty of comedy it did turn very dark 😮

Excellent performances from the two protagonists, Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. 7/10.

If there is an Oscar category for best supporting eyebrows then those belonging to Farrell deserve to win it 😄
Someone has to take the mantle from the late Roger Moore. :)

Banksy

The Good Nurse 2022 Starring Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne as two nurses, one who suspects the other of being responsible for a series of patient deaths. Charles Cullen was eventually convicted of twenty nine murders and serving eighteen life sentences. He is suspected of being involved in up to four hundred murders.And that’s not giving away the plot , it’s well documented!
Well acted by the two leading actors with Redmayne very convincing as the disturbed Cullen. 10/10

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Harry Brown (2009). Starring Michael Caine, a pensioner who after his mate is killed by thugs vents his revenge. Overly violent and quite depressing nonetheless it was quite watchable. 7/10.

DB9

Being The Ricardo's, Amazon Prime. A biography of Lucille Ball and her then Husband Desi Arnez with Nicole Kidman playing the role of Lucille Ball, The film is set in one week from first script reading to the recording of their famous at the time TV show I Love Lucy, Which during the 1950's was watched by 60m viewers in the US every week. Based on a true episode during making of the show Ms Ball was "Exposed" as a Communist by a newspaper and was subject of the so called McArther Witchunts where the US at that time were paranoid there were Communists everywhere, Especially in Hollywood and a senate commission was set to expose people, Many writers, exects etc lost their jobs and were imprisoned when they weren't even guilty. The film itself was really slow and jumped all over the place, Thought it would have been a bit more light hearted than it was, Ms Kidman was nominated for an Oscar for her role as Ms Ball, I thought she was unconvincing because tbh she was "Too Beautiful" than the real Ms Ball. Only 5 out of 10 for this one, Not the best.

arthur

Saw this last night. Brendan Gleeson reminded me of someone, then I realised it was Pierce Sweeney :)

Alistair20000

The Shining (1980) for the umpteenth time but for the first time on the big screen at the Picture House on Sunday evening.

This was the American version with nearly half an hour of additional screen time compared with the usual European versions and including a particularly gruesome scene near the end where Wendy sees skeletons in one of the rooms.

Even better to watch on the big screen with the stunning scenery standing out more than on the small screen and the music sounding even more sinister with a longer build up as Jack drives to the hotel for the job interview.

A great evening.