• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, Schindlers List was a great production.

I’ve not seen the other film mentioned. I will check that one out.
Jo Jo Rabbit is a bit out there Olds, A different type of film set in that era.

Banksy

I generally don’t like Hollywood screenwriters/producers portrayal of the events of the Holocaust/Final Solution.
The stories should be told, this has been done a lot more thoroughly by the many documentaries since the World at War episode in 1974, the first time that many of us saw full horror of what had happened...A feature film with various actors we all know can never portray that.
No very true, harrowing stuff , not really storybook material. I did find Schindler’s List inspiring though.

Banksy

Jo Jo Rabbit is a bit out there Olds, A different type of film set in that era.
A very odd film.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Struggling with the idea that the Godfather was released 52 years ago today.

Banksy

More like the Grandfather…….

DB9

Still stands the test of time though. Brilliant acting, writing and directing all helps.

Stelios

Yes Schindler's List is excellent although it's been a very long time since I saw it.

If you've never seen the 'definitive' documentary on the Holocaust you really should watch Claude Lanzmann's 'Shoah' (1985). It's 9 and a half hours long (yes really) but it is utterly gripping with interviews with survivors and perpetrators. It doesn't use any archive footage and doesn't need to. We've all seen the documentaries and images before but the film put it all into a completely new perspective for me. BBC4 showed it over a few nights a few years ago

Reactions: DB9

Bridgy 81

We saw Dune Part 2 this afternoon.
As I’m rubbish at remembering films we rewatched the first one, half last night and half this morning.
I’m also hopeless at following stories that involve fictitious peoples and lands so I’ve always steered clear of stuff like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.
But I’d forgotten how good the first Dune was.
We enjoyed the second instalment today as well.
The special effects, atmosphere and general visuals were brilliant but the inclusion of a bit of humour towards the beginning and the inevitable romance element jarred with me against the serious and sombre previous tone.
However as I said maybe that’s just me as I appreciate the storyline and the characters need to develop, especially over five and an half hours.
A very enjoyable afternoon though.
We’re back at the cinema on Thursday to see Immaculate.
It’s a psychological horror and a lot shorter than Dune.
And if @Banksy is here, today was a cheese and pickle sandwich and a muffin.
Although I did steal a few of my wife’s mint Matchmakers too.

Banksy

Naughty , naughty Bridgy! Do love those Matchmakers myself though I must say. Great that you both like the same sort of films. My wife wouldn’t go within a hundred miles of a sci-fi movie. The only films we get to share really are westerns and the odd selected war film , and she only likes the older less violent ones.Did you find it all came together storywise after you’d seen the second film? I didn’t make too much of the first after all the hoo ha about it , maybe I needed to see the second , although as you say I might need to watch the first again so it makes more sense.

iscalad

Naughty , naughty Bridgy! Do love those Matchmakers myself though I must say. Great that you both like the same sort of films. My wife wouldn’t go within a hundred miles of a sci-fi movie. The only films we get to share really are westerns and the odd selected war film , and she only likes the oylder less violent ones.Did you find it all came together storywise after you’d seen the second film? I didn’t make too much of the first after all the hoo ha about it , maybe I needed to see the second , although as you say I might need to watch the first again so it makes more sense.
Yes. I went with my son. We seem to like the same sort of films.
I watched Dune 1 a day or so before we went.