• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Finished 2-1 to Barnsley.
Just seen the highlights. I could have scored the Carlisle goal.

andrew p long

Just seen the highlights. I could have scored the Carlisle goal.
Sign him up!

andrew p long

Following your relegation rivals' matches via "In Play" betting websites is pretty miserable really. And we've got another three and a half months of this.
What I do instead is follow reports of League One clubs possible points deductions. That's what I'm counting on to save us. Its working so far - Reading's deduction is what is keeping us out of the bottom four!

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've said elsewhere that having seen Cheltenham's numbers since Clarke took over and their performance against us that there's no way they'll finish in the bottom four barring forces majeure. Wigan are a mid-table side based on results so far - and look far too talented to get truly drawn in to the relegation scrap.

I think a lot will be watching what happens to the Reading squad over the next few weeks. Will there be a firesale? If there is, where does that leave them (and their depleted management team)?

Shrewsbury look pretty vulnerable to me - seventeen goals in 27 league matches; and results seem to be catching up with their performances.
Sounds about right, but are Wigan going to have themselves a bit of a mini fire sale themselves? Beaten us twice, but not looked good doing it. Lose some of their better players, they could be in trouble.

sign of the chimes

Sounds about right, but are Wigan going to have themselves a bit of a mini fire sale themselves? Beaten us twice, but not looked good doing it. Lose some of their better players, they could be in trouble.
I think Wigan are on a pretty even keel financially following their takeover, though I haven't been watching closely since the autumn so might well have missed something? Their points deduction was a result of the chancers they still had in charge last term, and was rolled over due to the timing of the sanctions, and as they'd been relegated without the penalty in place. I thought they might struggle at the start of the season but Maloney seems to be doing a pretty decent job, they'd currently be ninth without the deduction.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Wigan are on a pretty even keel financially following their takeover, though I haven't been watching closely since the autumn so might well have missed something? Their points deduction was a result of the chancers they still had in charge last term, and was rolled over due to the timing of the sanctions, and as they'd been relegated without the penalty in place. I thought they might struggle at the start of the season but Maloney seems to be doing a pretty decent job, they'd currently be ninth without the deduction.
Aha, fair enough... Didn't know about the take over... Just seen their players linked with moves, but maybe it's just the one or two.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Wigan will finish half way up the league come the end IMO.

The bottom 4 will come from Carlisle , Exeter , Cheltenham , Reading , Fleetwood , Wycombe , Burton , Shrewsbury….again IMO…

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
What I do instead is follow reports of League One clubs possible points deductions. That's what I'm counting on to save us. Its working so far - Reading's deduction is what is keeping us out of the bottom four!
One of the reasons Reading have earned more points than us this season is because they signed a load of pretty decent League One players on long contracts last summer, at least three of whom were on the pitch when they beat us a few weeks ago. Now, apparently, they are trying to offload those same players because they can't afford to pay them, and probably never could, so in sporting terms the points penalty seems fair enough.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wigan will finish half way up the league come the end IMO.

The bottom 4 will come from Carlisle , Exeter , Cheltenham , Reading , Fleetwood , Wycombe , Burton , Shrewsbury….again IMO…
Wigan's recent form is pretty shocking so, in my opinion, they will need to sign a few decent players if that is going to happen.

haka

Everything's going wonderfully at Carlisle, fanbase growing, everybody happy, except the ones who actually go to places like Barnsley to support Carlisle ...

Meet Carlisle United's army of new supporters - in Florida! | News and Star

"When you wear the shirt in the United States, you immediately get asked what's the story here? And then you're able to kind of dive into it."

:giggle: