• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
If there was any extra incentive required to retain our L1 status it has to be the chance of playing Slime next season. Unbelievable collapse from our green chums, long may it continue!
I think Argyle will stay up, unfortunately. They have a decent squad, but like us perhaps, being played in the wrong way, rather than lacking enough to stay up in itself. Argyle have goals in them, which is normally enough to see sides safe. We on the other hand don't have goals in us.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Neil Harris set to return to Millwall - bad news for Cambridge who have done well in the brief period he’s been there… Bonner to return to Cambridge I wonder?
Done well? I thought they had gone backwards whilst playing dull football, like playing out for a draw at our place.

SidwellOldboy

Done well? I thought they had gone backwards whilst playing dull football, like playing out for a draw at our place.
yes but also thought they look more likely to stay up. Can both things be true? Suppose you could argue similar with Caldwell..

Neil Harris set to return to Millwall - bad news for Cambridge who have done well in the brief period he’s been there… Bonner to return to Cambridge I wonder?
Agreed - Harris had turned things round for Cambridge - this is great news, especially as I had them finishing last in the end of season table predictions.

denzel

Agreed - Harris had turned things round for Cambridge - this is great news, especially as I had them finishing last in the end of season table predictions.
I stand corrected. He took over when they were 18th, and they are now 17th on goal difference.
Well done Neil. Fabulous effort.

I stand corrected. He took over when they were 18th, and they are now 17th on goal difference.
Well done Neil. Fabulous effort.
haha that's probably what caught Millwall's eye!! Perhaps GC could move us up a place and get poached by a Championship club!!

dontpassback

I think Argyle will stay up, unfortunately. They have a decent squad, but like us perhaps, being played in the wrong way, rather than lacking enough to stay up in itself. Argyle have goals in them, which is normally enough to see sides safe. We on the other hand don't have goals in us.
Looking at pasoti and freechat after last night’s debacle,the fans ain’t happy with foster,and his links with Gerrard haven’t made things any better,so maybe stormy times for our green chums 😀😀😀😀

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at pasoti and freechat after last night’s debacle,the fans ain’t happy with foster,and his links with Gerrard haven’t made things any better,so maybe stormy times for our green chums 😀😀😀😀
I think it once more highlights how stupidly difficult it is to appoint the right manager in any club. There is this trend to appoint the 'supercoach' the next Rob Edwards or Kieran Mckenna that come from an Academy or England age group level. There are advocates on these boards. However, imo Edwards and Mckenna are an exception to the rule and these 'types' of coaches have no actual experience of the blood and guts reality of football league management. Lovely triangles on the white board but a wet night in Stoke forget it. Argyle were successful under a manager from the school of hard knocks in Ryan Lowe and his philosphy was maintained by Schumaccer. However David Horseman who was sacked by FGR, who applied for the job when Caldwell was appointed would have been an unmitigated disaster if appointed as well as Artell judging by Grimsby in free fall. I'm in a minority I suspect but I still feel that Caldwell was the best appointment at the time

StudentGrecian

I think it once more highlights how stupidly difficult it is to appoint the right manager in any club. There is this trend to appoint the 'supercoach' the next Rob Edwards or Kieran Mckenna that come from an Academy or England age group level. There are advocates on these boards. However, imo Edwards and Mckenna are an exception to the rule and these 'types' of coaches have no actual experience of the blood and guts reality of football league management. Lovely triangles on the white board but a wet night in Stoke forget it. Argyle were successful under a manager from the school of hard knocks in Ryan Lowe and his philosphy was maintained by Schumaccer. However David Horseman who was sacked by FGR, who applied for the job when Caldwell was appointed would have been an unmitigated disaster if appointed as well as Artell judging by Grimsby in free fall. I'm in a minority I suspect but I still feel that Caldwell was the best appointment at the time
Maybe the best of those who applied, maybe. Did we look at anyone currently employed, currently doing a good job elsewhere? Did we look at in work coaches we might be able to tempt down here. The recruitment process felt limited, which is probably why we've ended up with a very limited manager.

I don't think we had enough footballing brains on the board to really recruit properly and in the end it came down to who felt right to those in charge. Caldwell appears to be a nice bloke and that seemed to have a massive impact on the decision. I guess the Wigan promotion was the real kicker, but it overlooked years of a downward trend. It is no doubt a very hard job, but maybe the question should be do we have people at the club qualified to make a big footballing decision like that?

Not doubting what anyone of them have done to improve this football club, they deserve all those plaudits, but how good are they at spotting football managers? Flitcroft has been given the reigns of footballing operations, but has little to no experience outside of our club.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Horseman and another three like him would surely have resulted in an apocalypse...