• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe the best of those who applied, maybe. Did we look at anyone currently employed, currently doing a good job elsewhere? Did we look at in work coaches we might be able to tempt down here. The recruitment process felt limited, which is probably why we've ended up with a very limited manager.

I don't think we had enough footballing brains on the board to really recruit properly and in the end it came down to who felt right to those in charge. Caldwell appears to be a nice bloke and that seemed to have a massive impact on the decision. I guess the Wigan promotion was the real kicker, but it overlooked years of a downward trend. It is no doubt a very hard job, maybe the question should be do we have people at the club qualified to make a big decision like that?
I guess we will never know whether we pursued others already in a job elsewhere and if yes that they turned down the opportunity to take the top job at one of Europe's big clubs. Therefore, if Gary was the best candidate why have we churned out 55,000 posts bemoaning our lot in having him :ROFLMAO:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt Taylor had no managerial experience but had been at club long enough to understand the ethos and been close enough to Tisdale and other managers to learn the basics as well as getting his badges. He was lacking in experience and contacts but could do well enough with some help. Perhaps he finally found his shortcomings at Rotherham and now at BR.

denzel

Barry Corr now in charge of Cambridge..

Grecian2K

Presumably they'll be changing their club colours from yellow to red?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Presumably they'll be changing their club colours from yellow to red?
And they will be able to elbow their way up the table.

STURTZ

Reasonable player, between suspensions.

fred binneys head

Corr? Blimey.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it once more highlights how stupidly difficult it is to appoint the right manager in any club. There is this trend to appoint the 'supercoach' the next Rob Edwards or Kieran Mckenna that come from an Academy or England age group level. There are advocates on these boards. However, imo Edwards and Mckenna are an exception to the rule and these 'types' of coaches have no actual experience of the blood and guts reality of football league management. Lovely triangles on the white board but a wet night in Stoke forget it. Argyle were successful under a manager from the school of hard knocks in Ryan Lowe and his philosphy was maintained by Schumaccer. However David Horseman who was sacked by FGR, who applied for the job when Caldwell was appointed would have been an unmitigated disaster if appointed as well as Artell judging by Grimsby in free fall. I'm in a minority I suspect but I still feel that Caldwell was the best appointment at the time
Don’t entirely disagree with the point you’re making. However, McKenna was No. 2 at Man U rather than an academy or England age group coach.

tom_ecfc

Barry will be sponsored by rock band, Elbow!

dontpassback

Don’t entirely disagree with the point you’re making. However, McKenna was No. 2 at Man U rather than an academy or England age group coach.
I didn’t realise horseman applied to city,crikey,that was a close run thing !