• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seemed a bit weird of Posh resting players, they still had a chance of the autos and have another game on Saturday if they wanted to do that. Will players be rested for that too? If so, they are more likely to be rusty than match fit..
But I also see Chelsea threw in the towel last night so fair game

Peterborough have put themselves in a position where they can rest players before the biggest games of their season. Fair play to them. It's up to them what players they play.
Yes, I agree. My point ( poorly expressed) was that teams should be able to pick the side they want. If they consider the game less important, as is often the case in the EFL Trophy, then they should be able to select the players they see as best suiting the circumstances.

andrew p long

Seemed a bit weird of Posh resting players, they still had a chance of the autos and have another game on Saturday if they wanted to do that. Will players be rested for that too? If so, they are more likely to be rusty than match fit..
Archie Collins has started 53 games for Peterborough this season, including 7 in a 22 day spell up to last Saturday. He almost certainly needs a rest.

And I think you're right about it being dangerous to rest players on Saturday prior to the play offs starting the following Friday. Ideal preparation on Saturday would be using the first choice 11

So perhaps last night was the best game in which to rotate lots of the first team

Boyo

Peterborough to sneak into the auto spot would have needed Derby to lose at home to Carlisle on Saturday, and themselves to beat Cheltenham last night and Bolton on Saturday AND to rack up a +9 goal difference (assuming Derby lose by a single goal). Stranger things have happened but the odds would have been very long, so resting players seems sensible, particularly given how many games Peterborough have played recently. It is harsh on Burton and Cambridge however.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Some key information on the finances of L1 clubs

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

How the hell was FGR's turnover £8.3M? Must include some extraordinary items as IIRC Dale Vince was only putting in £2M.

denzel

So Bolton have an accumulated loss of £192mn, and where has it got them?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
How the hell was FGR's turnover £8.3M? Must include some extraordinary items as IIRC Dale Vince was only putting in £2M.
"Sponsorship", I suspect. FGR's front of shirt sponsor just *happens* to be his company. I bet that was a particularly lucrative deal.

arthur

Average wage £187,200 p.a. That's some wedge for a footballer in the third tier when compared to the wider labour market

Boyo

The majority of those figures are ridiculous. Totally unsustainable and completely unfair on clubs who are living within their means.